The Road to You…Available Now!

Pageflex Persona [document: PRS0000038_00071]It’s been hard to keep up with everything going on this month! My Magical Musings sisters have LOTS of new, wonderful books out (!!), so my Kindle is now bursting!

My son just had his first set of high-school midterms (that may have been more traumatic for me than for him…), and both he and I got sidelined for a full week with a nasty stomach virus (that was equally traumatic for us both).

I was at the awesome Jane Austen Society of North America’s annual conference in Minneapolis two weeks ago and learned lots of new Regency dances — a very fun and energetic way to spend an evening — complete with a refreshment break of traditional white soup midway through the ball event :).

And, last week, a novel that I’d been working on (researching, writing, revising) for three years was finally released!! I’m so glad I can announce that THE ROAD TO YOU, my coming-of-age romantic mystery, is now available at Amazon (both Kindle and paperback), B&N (both Nook and paperback), Smashwords (ebook) and AbeBooks (paperback), with iTunes/Apple, Kobo, Sony and more coming soon!

For those who don’t yet know the story’s premise, here’s the blurb:

The Road to Discovery…Route 66 sign
Two years ago, Aurora Gray’s world turned upside down when her big brother Gideon and his best friend Jeremy disappeared. Now, during the summer of her 18th birthday, she unexpectedly finds her brother’s journal and sees that it’s been written in again. Recently. By him.

The Road to Danger…
There are secret messages coded within the journal’s pages. Aurora, who’s unusually perceptive and a natural puzzle solver, is hell bent on following where they lead, no matter what the cost. She confides in the only person she feels can help her interpret the clues: Donovan McCafferty, Jeremy’s older brother and a guy she’s always been drawn to—even against her better judgment.

The Road to You…
Reluctantly, Donovan agrees to go with her and, together, they set out on a road trip of discovery and danger, hoping to find their lost brothers and the answers to questions they’ve never dared to ask aloud.

Some of the story takes place along historic Route 66 and it’s set in the late 1970s — the age of disco, Star Wars and “The Six Million Dollar Man” and a time when garage-door openers were a new invention and hotel rooms were about $12/night for a couple. I was born later than my characters were, but I still remember some highlights from that time period: I saw Grease in the theaters when it first came out in 1978. I used to watch “The Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys Mysteries” on TV. And I did listen to a fair bit of the Bee Gees before the hipsters of the world deemed it uncool, LOL.

If you’d like to read an excerpt of THE ROAD TO YOU, I have one here, along with the “Soundtrack” of the story, which includes some of my favorite ’70s songs, like “Dance with Me” by Orleans, “Band on the Run” by Wings, “Goodbye to Love” by The Carpenters, “A Man I’ll Never Be” by Boston and “Ventura Highway” by America.

Do you have a favorite 1970s-era song? Movie? TV show? I’d love to hear about it!!

And, FYI, there are a few days left in my Release Week Rafflecopter Giveaway (the international prize package is for a signed trade paperback copy of According to Jane, a signed paperback copy of On Any Given Sundae, one A Summer in Europe t-shirt, a canvas Marilyn Brant tote bag and one The Road to You luggage tag), so if you’d like to take part, the link is HERE. Happy weekend, all!!

About Marilyn Brant

Marilyn Brant is a chocolate addict, a music junkie and the USA TODAY bestselling author of ACCORDING TO JANE (2009), FRIDAY MORNINGS AT NINE (2010) and A SUMMER IN EUROPE (2011), all from Kensington Books, as well as a number of light romantic comedies, including THE SWEET TEMPTATIONS COLLECTION (2013) and PRIDE, PREJUDICE AND THE PERFECT MATCH (2013). Her latest novel -- a coming-of-age romantic mystery called THE ROAD TO YOU -- was just released in October 2013!

13 Responses to The Road to You…Available Now!

Marilyn, first I have to tell you how much I enjoyed The Road To You! Such a well written book, with great characters that grew through the story, and the mystery was great, too! And it’s not a story I forgot when I was done. It stuck in my mind. And of course, I got a kick out of all the late 1970’s references.

Second, you made me work so early this morning! I can’t remember what years songs were out. I finally found a Billboard list for 1978. There was a lot of music I didn’t love during that era. The Bee Gees, Debbie Boone’s You Light Up My Life. But there were songs I loved too: “You’re the One That I Want” from Grease. Clapton’s “Lay Down Sally.” “Two Out of Three Ain’t Bad” by Meatloaf. “You Belong to Me” by Carly Simon. “Slip Slidin’ Away” by Paul Simon. George Benson’s “On Broadway” is my favorite version of that song.

I also listened to country back then, and there were great country songs from that era. Too many to list, and I have to stop now or I could be here all morning. I don’t know how you could get through your research. The music alone is too fun.

• marilynbrant says:

First and foremost, congrats again on the release of Christmas at Angel Lake AND on the Romance Super Bundle!!!!!

As for the songs, there were some in that era that were SERIOUSLY overplayed (Debbie Boone’s one hit wonder, for sure, LOL) but I never got tired of Paul Simon’s “Slip Sliding Away” either and I loved Meatloaf ;). Finding the right road tip music was, as you guessed, a task that was a little TOO fun. Made me more than a little nostalgic sometimes… 😉

Finally, thank you again for reading The Road to You — I’m so thrilled you enjoyed it!! That’s a huge compliment, I know, given how extensively you read!! xoxox!
      marilynbrant`s last blog was …Release Day for THE ROAD TO YOU!!!

• Edie Ramer says:

Marilyn, thanks so much on your congrats! It’s a big month for many of us! And actually, I don’t read that much as I’d like to. I’m too busy writing!

I had the Paul Simon tape with Slip Slidin’ Away on it. I had his Graceland tape, too. I should buy the CD, but I don’t listen to CDs that often. 🙁

Hi Marilyn. Congrats on the new release! Sounds like a walk down memory lane to me. 🙂

Charlie’s Angels. The Love Boat. CHiPs. Laverne and Shirley…And I definitely was a Hardy Boys fangirl. 🙂

Best wishes for many sales on the book!

• marilynbrant says:

Oh, Misty, I watched all of those, too! I still sometimes find myself inexplicably crooning that Love Boat theme song, LOL. “Love…exciting and new…come aboard…we’re expecting youuuuu!” 🙂

Thanks so much for the good luck wishes, too!! I appreciate them!
      marilynbrant`s last blog was …Release Day for THE ROAD TO YOU!!!

3. Happy Friday, Marilyn!! I hope you know how very excited I am to read this book! Hopefully I’ll time to dive into it next week, cuz I know once I start, I won’t want to put it down! Congratulations again!!

I loved all those shows Misty mentioned too! In fact, my friends and I used to run around the neighborhood “playing” Charlie’s Angels. Oh, and I also loved the show Emergency and The Bionic Woman.
    Robin Bielman`s last blog was …Some Really Awesome Book News

4. marilynbrant says:

Thanks, Robin!! I really hope you’ll like it ;).
    And I know your next release is coming up in just a few days!!!! So excited for you!
    As for the TV shows, I can totally see you playing Charlie’s Angels! Who did you most love to play? Jill (Farrah’s character) or, maybe, Kris (Cheryl Ladd’s)??! Bet that was fun! I used to love The Bionic Woman, too…watching some of those episodes now is pretty funny, though. Times have definitely changed! (Some of the attitudes toward women, thank goodness, and the technology for sure…)
    marilynbrant`s last blog was …Release Day for THE ROAD TO YOU!!!

Hi Marilyn,
    Awesome news on the new release! You’re right, the new releases have been avalanching these last few weeks!

As for the 70’s, Gilligan’s Island and the Love Boat were old favorites!
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Launch party for the Super Romance Bundle!

6. Marilyn, congratulations on the release of The Road To You. I can’t wait to read it, it is sitting on my Kindle!

I was only 7 in 1978, LOL, so although I know a lot of those songs, it’s as oldies but goodies, not contemporary to me. As a teenager in the 80s, that’s the music I remember as my own. But personally, even as a small child, I L.O.V.E.D. ABBA. I still do! Honestly, and this is going to sound pretty out there, but when my husband was offered a great job opportunity in Australia, and we were wondering whether to go or not, I said yes, let’s do it based more on the fact that I knew Australians loved ABBA as much as I do, than any other reason. I’d never even been to Australia before we moved here, but I felt a sense of kinship with the entire nation over their good taste in ABBA music. 🙂

But I actually do love some of the Bee Gees music. Jive Talking is one of my favorites of theirs. But I don’t think that was from the 70s.
    Michelle Diener`s last blog was …Contest: Last Advance Reading Copy of Banquet of Lies Up For Grabs

• marilynbrant says:

LOL about ABBA!!! What was that movie with Toni Colette and it involved ABBA music? (Okay, I couldn’t stand not knowing, so I just looked it up – “Muriel’s Wedding”!) Wasn’t that an Aussie film?! I remember the musical group being very popular Down Under, but I hadn’t realized how much YOU loved ABBA! “Dancing Queen” was always my personal favorite ;). (And, btw, the last play I saw on Broadway was “Mamma Mia” – LOVED it!)
      As for “Jive Talking” – yes, it’s actually from 1977! – I reference it in the book because Aurora sings some of it in the car, LOL. It was on the “Saturday Night Fever” soundtrack…not that I spent ages looking up and listening to old ’70s tunes while writing this story or anything… 🙂
      Thank you so much for getting my new novel! I really hope you’ll like it. xox
      marilynbrant`s last blog was …Release Day for THE ROAD TO YOU!!!