For the Holidays…Let Them Eat Cake!

Book Blitz - RoadToYouEdie came up with the fabulous idea to share recipes on the blog in preparation for the holidays and, well, I’m a really big fan of food, so… 🙂

I’ve referenced lots of tasty dishes in my novels, just because I greatly enjoy imagining myself eating them, LOL, but one of the more unusual and fun desserts I mentioned was in my latest book, The Road to You — Scandinvian Lingonberry Cake.

During the course of the story, my main characters — Aurora and Donovan — embark on a road trip. Before they really get going, though, they stop at a Norwegian diner in Minnesota to have lunch and talk about the clues they’ve uncovered so far. Donovan takes the opportunity to order one of their specialties, the Lingonberry Cake.

Now, if you’ve haven’t ever purchased lingonberries in your life, never fear — neither have I! You do not have to go to Scandinavia to get them, or even to Minnesota. The preserves are actually what we use in the recipe, and jars of it can be found in many grocery stores, including IKEA. Or, you can get it online through websites like Amazon (here’s a link to one of them). This is the version of the recipe I tried. Hope you’ll like it!

Lingonberry Cake
2 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cardamom
1 tablespoon baking powder
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup lingonberry preserves
1 beaten egg

Streusel Topping:
3/4 cup oatmeal
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

~Preheat oven to 400°F
~Mix flour, sugar, cardamom & baking powder together
~Cut in butter
~Make sure the egg is well beaten & add it to flour mixture
~Spread the batter into a greased and floured 8 x 11 pan, then spread the lingonberry preserves over the batter
~Sprinkle the streusel topping over the preserves
~Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden on top
~Let it cool & then enjoy!

Personally, I think this would make a very yummy holiday dessert, particularly for those of us who like to serve something in addition to pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving or for anyone who wants to add a festive dash of red to Christmas dinner. What do you think? Have you ever tried lingonberries — in a cake or otherwise? Do you have a favorite kind of berry (strawberry, raspberry, blackberry, blueberry, etc.) that you like to use in recipes?

Happy weekend, all!!

About Marilyn Brant

Marilyn Brant is a chocolate addict, a music junkie and the USA TODAY bestselling author of ACCORDING TO JANE (2009), FRIDAY MORNINGS AT NINE (2010) and A SUMMER IN EUROPE (2011), all from Kensington Books, as well as a number of light romantic comedies, including THE SWEET TEMPTATIONS COLLECTION (2013) and PRIDE, PREJUDICE AND THE PERFECT MATCH (2013). Her latest novel -- a coming-of-age romantic mystery called THE ROAD TO YOU -- was just released in October 2013!

14 Responses to For the Holidays…Let Them Eat Cake!

Marilyn, I’ve never tried lingonberries. The next time I go to the World Market, I’ll look for it there. I like all berries. There isn’t one I dislike. The cake sounds yummy – though I don’t think it will be as wonderful as The Road To You. 🙂

• marilynbrant says:

I’m sure World Market will have those preserves! We used to have one near us and I just loved going there…but then they closed. It was sad. They were right next to Borders (another big sigh…), so it used to be so fun to go look for books and then hunt for tasty international foods.
      And thank you – as always – for your kind comments about TRTY! *hug* 🙂
      marilynbrant`s last blog was …Happy Halloween!

2. Hi Marilyn! I’ve never had lingonberries either, but I’m a berry lover and any recipe with streusel in it is right up my ally! Thanks for sharing your recipe! Have a great weekend!
    Robin Bielman`s last blog was …Evie Knight is in the house!

Hi Marilyn,

I’ve never tried Lingonberries! I adore blackberries, huckleberries, salmon berries and raspberries. And the struesel would sell it for me. lol.
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Vamping with the vamps…and me!

• marilynbrant says:

Oh, Dale, I’m so intrigued!! I’ve never heard of salmon berries, and I’m now left to wonder WHY haven’t I heard of them?! Hmm… Thanks for mentioning this new berry to me, I’m going to have to find it so I can try it ;).
      Happy weekend!
      marilynbrant`s last blog was …Happy Halloween!

4. blodeuedd says:

I am a bit euwww lingonberry cake, but who knows. I do put it on everything at work…everything. Cos the food we get to the daycare is so tasteless and lingonberries are good ,)
    blodeuedd`s last blog was …Carole Reviews: Gracianna – Trini Amador

• marilynbrant says:

That’s right! You would definitely know all about lingonberries ;). I’m glad you like them on other things, if not the cake. The first time I had them was at a Swedish restaurant. One of their specialties was thin crepe-like pancakes with lingonberries on top, and it was delicious!
      marilynbrant`s last blog was …Happy Halloween!

5. I’ve never tired lingonberries either, but I love berries in dishes, and the streusel topping sounds good.
    Jennifer Estep`s last blog was …Holiday books are here …

• marilynbrant says:

I’m contemplating putting that streusel topping on other dishes that I don’t like nearly as much…I’m sure it would improve them tremendously 😛 .
      Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
      marilynbrant`s last blog was …Happy Halloween!

6. I have a jar of lingonberries in my fridge (from Ikea, LOL). And my Ikea has a great restaurant, and I’ve had lingonberry cake there, too.

I love berries. Raspberries are probably my favorite 🙂 I make raspberry and white chocolate muffins a lot.
    Michelle Diener`s last blog was …Release Day: Banquet of Lies