Year of the Pumpkin

Boy Playing on PumpkinIn Christmas at Angel Lake, pumpkin bread is mentioned several times. In another scene, after Thanksgiving dinner at the heroine’s sister’s house, my heroine “was succumbing to a turkey and pie coma. At least she’d been smart enough this morning to wear stretch jeans.”

I’ve been in that coma. I try to be smarter now, but I have to admit that I will be wearing stretch jeans for the Thanksgiving dinner. I love pumpkin bread and pumpkin pie, and I don’t make the pies just for holidays. I often make them throughout the year for my husband and myself, without a crust or whipped cream. (When we expect guests, I will make a crust and whipped cream.)

pumpkin pieThis year I’ve discovered pumpkin pudding. It’s lighter than pie and easy to make. The half-and-half in the recipe adds a lovely creaminess. It tastes great and doesn’t put you in a stupor.

This is my “Year of the Pumpkin,” because I’m experimenting with cheesecake recipes, too. I made a pumpkin cheesecake pie last week, and I plan to make pumpkin cheesecake bars tomorrow. But I’m kind of jonesing for the pumpkin pudding. That’s how much I like it.  Here’s the recipe:

• 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
  • 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
  • 1 3/4 cups half-and-half or light cream

Butter a 1 1/2-quart casserole. Heat oven to 350°. Serves 6 to 8.

In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and whisk or beat on low speed until blended. Pour into the prepared casserole and bake for 55 to 65 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. If desired, serve with sweetened whipped cream and cinnamon sugar for sprinkling.

What’s your favorite holiday dessert?

This entry was posted in Edie's Posts and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Year of the Pumpkin

1. Amy R. says:

Hi Edie – That Pumpkin Pudding sounds great. I am going to try and make Pumpkin Soup this year. I have had it at a restaurant once and loved it. My favorite dessert? Hmm, any that I don’t have to make! I am really not picky with desserts, so I will try anything….however, the best ones are the ones that others make. I really don’t like to cook or bake, so if I didn’t have to in order to survive I wouldn’t do any of it. 🙂
    Amy R.`s last blog was …Review: SANTA TO THE RESCUE by Adele Downs

• Edie Ramer says:

Amy, pumpkin soup sounds lovely! I’m going to look up a recipe.

I enjoy baking, but my problem is that if I bake it, I eat it. And then I gain weight. With pies, my husband and I can control ourselves, eating just one piece a night.

2. marilynbrant says:

Ooooh, pumpkin pudding!!
    I think I’m going to like this, Edie ;).
    And, for the record, I had a craving for both pumpkin bread *and* lasagna after reading Christmas at Angel Lake, LOL.
    As for a favorite holiday dessert, I have MANY favorites, but one of them is my mom’s pinwheel cookies. She always makes them in December and I look forward to them every year!
    marilynbrant`s last blog was …New Book Coming: All I Ever Wanted!

• Edie Ramer says:

Marilyn, it’s been a long time since I had lasagna. I’d love a good one. Maybe that’s why I put it in the book. My characters are better cooks than I am. 🙂

Pinwheel cookies sound wonderful. It’s been a long time since I had one of them, too. Every Christmas, my husband makes chocolate chip cookies, using my mother’s recipe. They’re delicious.

3. Edie,

A day late and many $$$ short, I guess. Holiday or anytime. Pumpkin bread and recently pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin pie always, and now this pudding sounds yummy.

I have a couple of scenes in the Dessert Dames series that have pumpkin baked items as details. Because sometimes as writers we do share bits of ourselves. So once again, we share some likes. 🙂

Have a great Thanksgiving.
    Casey Clifford`s last blog was …A Thoughtful Critique

• Edie Ramer says:

Casey, the pumpkin cheesecake bars weren’t as delicious, though edible. I should’ve stuck to the pudding.

So true about sharing bits of ourselves. Especially the food we enjoy. 🙂

4. My favorite thing to eat in the holidays is marzipan fruit cake. Oh, yum! I can’t get enough of it. 🙂
    Michelle Diener`s last blog was …Cover Reveal: Mistress of the Wind

I am so going to have to try that! We eat pumpkin all year as I freeze cook and freeze the annual Jack-o-lanterns for eating for the next year.

Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Design Trilogy

6. This sounds yummy, Edie! I love pumpkin.
    Robin Bielman`s last blog was …Happy 11-12-13!! Plus a Giveaway!