Married Couples in Romance Novels

Happy Valentine’s Day!

I am so excited to be here today! I have followed the Magical Musings ladies for over a year and really enjoy their posts and getting to know them through the blog. When they asked me to blog as a reader for them I was both excited and scared but very honored that they asked. Although to find out my first post was going to be on Valentine’s Day? Well, that sort of freaked me out because hello…romance writers and one of the most romantic days of the year? Um, no pressure or anything.

Valentine’s Day is a couples holiday, right? Most of the time I think about new couples when I think about Valentine’s Day, yet some of my favorite couples in books are those that have been together for a long time, especially married couples. Just like romantic comedies in Hollywood, most romance books are about boy meets girl. There is just something about that new love people like to watch unfold. But what happens to that new love years down the road?

While I do enjoy reading books and watching movies about new love, I find there is just something special, a sense of familiarity and comfort that you get form watching couples who have been together for a long time. Marriage is not void of conflict, so some great stories can come out of it. One of my favorite movies is Date Night. As you can see from the movie trailer below, married couples have plenty of obstacles to overcome.

In romance novels, two of my favorite married couples that never cease to find conflict include Roarke and Eve Dallas from JD Robb’s In Death Series and Trevor and Cassandra Bauer from Chris Almeida and Cecilia Aubrey’s Countermeasure Series. In each of these series we meet the main characters before they are married so we get to watch the “new love” part with them but we also get to watch their marriage grow over time through additional books.

Both Roake & Eve and Trevor & Cassandra show us through their stories that while marriage isn’t always easy and is a lot of work sometimes, it can still be insanely romantic and just as hot and passionate as that new love. What stands out to me about these couples is that they are a team. It isn’t a “me” so much as a “we” when battling through conflict regardless if it is an outside danger or a small relationship issue. It is that comfort in knowing they will work through it together and find a solution. It mimics real life in a way and gives us readers hope in long lasting relationships.

So, readers, what do you think?  Do you like to read books or a series where the main characters have been together for a long time or do you prefer the new love romance books? Who are some of your favorite married (or long lasting) couples in romance?

This entry was posted in Amy R's Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Married Couples in Romance Novels

Welcome to Magical, Amy! Happy Valentine’s Day, and what a great topic. I loved Date Night! I don’t read the JD Robb books or the other pair, but on TV, I actually like Bones more now that Brennan and Booth are together – and with a baby! Before this, the lengths the creators took to keep them apart were ridiculous. And I was getting irritated with the Castle show for keeping the two leads apart. I stopped watching it for a while.

I love what you say about a long-term relationship being “insanely romantic” and that it “gives us readers hope in long lasting relationships.” I absolutely agree!

• Amy R. says:

Thanks, Edie! I, too, dislike it when a TV series (or book series) try and stretch out a romance beyond what it should. It causes me to lose interest. I was like that with Grey’s Anatomy. I was sick of all the hookups without a lot of emotions. I want the love. Oh when I first started watching Castle, Kate Beckett reminded me so much of Eve Dallas. Castle is no Roarke, but still, Kate was Eve to me on so many levels! Happy Valentine’s Day!

2. Welcome, Amy! We are happy to have you join Magical Musings. I’m a sucker for rom-com movies so I like watching new couples fall in love. But it’s also nice to visit with an established couple too and see how happy they are.
    Jennifer Estep`s last blog was …Guest blog: Maria V. Snyder on a taste of romance …

• Amy R. says:

Hi Jennifer and thank you! I do love new couples fall in love. What is really great are the book series where the first book has two characters falling in love and then later on put out a novella on just that couple so you get to catch up with them later, even if they are not the main characters throughout the series. Maya Banks did that with her KGI series, as did Ruthie Knox with her Camelot series. I like those, too!

3. Pingback: Married Couples in Romance Novels | So Many Reads

4. Undying romance is one that battles through difficulties, through disagreements, through heartbreak and lives on. Doesn’t mean it will remain unchanged. We all change with time and with new experiences. It just means it will solidify with time instead of being eroded by the tribulations.
    Thank you for the fantastic article and for the very humbling mention beside one of our favorite series.

Sláinte!

Chris

• Amy Remus says:

Yes, Chris. That is what I love to watch in couples that have been together for a long time. In my own relationship both my husband and I have changed, matured, etc, but we have done it together and encouraged each other through it. Thanks for writing such a great couple!

5. Good Morning, Amy and Happy Valentine’s Day!

Honored that Trevor and Cassandra have found a way into your heart. We certainly enjoy them. New to marriage, they are giving us a glimpse of the insecurities that come with that kind of commitment and the growth of a partnership built on trust and love.

Personally, I’m a romantic at heart and a sucker for a good romance in any form. While I love books, movies are also a guilty pleasure. A favorite is Leap Year which has a good dose of humor and a romantic journey all wrapped up in one.
    Cecilia Aubrey`s last blog was …Scavenger Hunt

• Amy Remus says:

Yes, Trevor and Cassandra have stolen my heart, Cecilia! And Leap Year brings a whole new type of romance – one that we thought was going to start with and end with a long lasting marriage, only to find out that it wasn’t Anna and Jeremy that were meant to be together…love is ever changing isn’t it? Happy Valentine’s Day to you as well!

6. Hi Amy! Welcome to Magical Musings! I’m so happy you’ve joined us! And what an awesome first post! I’m with you on loving both new romances and long standing ones. Both can be exciting and romantic. I haven’t read either of your favorites, but I know everyone loves Eve and Roarke (probably Roarke a little more than Eve, LOL) and the In Death Series is on my list to read – one day. Oh, and I loved Date Night!

Happy Valentine’s Day!! I hope it’s full of love and laughter. <3
    Robin Bielman`s last blog was …The Look of Love

• Amy Remus says:

Thanks, Robin! I agree, it is probably Roarke that most people love more than Eve. She is a little prickly. You have some great couples that are probably going to be together for a long time in your books! I would love to check up on them someday. Hint, hint. Happy Valentine’s Day!

7. Cynthia Eden says:

Happy Valentine’s Day, Amy! ;) I loved Date Night! Hmmm…my fave long time couple right now is Castle and Beckett. They’re not married yet, but I still count them as long term. Love them!
    Cynthia Eden`s last blog was …LOVE’S FIRST BITE – A Valentine’s Surprise for just .99!

• Amy Remus says:

Thanks, Cynthia! Yes, Castle and Beckett are a fun couple. I like their dynamics. She sure holds her own, that’s for sure. I love reading about heroines like her, too. Happy Valentine’s Day!

Hi Amy,

Awesome post – so happy to have you here. My favorite couple are JD Robb’s Roarke and Eve. I’m currently rereading that whole series right now.

It’s funny that you think Valentine’s is for couple – being single for over a decade, I’ve always made it a family holiday. Little chocolates for the kids, fancy dinner etc. :)
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Knock, Knock… book 5 of the Psychic Visions series is on SALE now!

• Amy Remus says:

Hi Dale – I think about couples when all the ads for flowers and chocolate and jewelry are on TV, but yes, you are right about a family thing. We usually celebrate it as a family – cards and candy for everyone in the family and we normally have dinner together. And not to mention friends. It also reminds me of a great time to remind ourselves of the lovely friends we are surrounded by! Happy Valentine’s Day!

9. Amy I am SOOOO happy to have you here! A huge big welcome, and thank you for coming on board. Our tagline is ‘Where writers and readers meet’ and it just seemed right to have such an avid reader on our team. Great post, too!

I love JD Robb’s In Death series, and I love having couples in my books who are already involved with each other, like Susanna and John in my Tudor set series. There is something insanely romantic about it.

• Amy R says:

Hi Michelle and thank you for making me feel so welcome! I also thank you for giving me my start in this reviewing/blogging world! John and Susanna are a great couple to read about as well. They are the epitome of a “team” in a relationship. Always thinking the best of one another and backing each other up!

10. leigh morgan says:

Hi, Amy! I love stories with couples who are established. In most of the romances I read these are secondary characters whose over the top strength and wonderfulness can be showcases without tons of back story on how they got there. I love to see the married couple, new and older, in fiction…both sets of parents in the Meet the Parents series of movies, the parents in Ted in Real Life, and I love revisiting characters in prior books when I read an author’s newer book involving those character’s parents or older siblings…Johanna Lindsey does this beautifully in her Mallory Series books. It’s just fun to see love that has endured and matured. Great Post. Thanks!

• Amy R says:

Hi, Leigh – I agree about those secondary characters that many times counsel and influence the “new love” characters. There is something about that wisdom from a long lasting relationship that we can all learn from. I’ll have to check out Johanna Lindsey’s books. Thanks!

11. marilynbrant says:

Amy,
    LOVED your post and a Happy (albeit belated!) Valentine’s Day to you, too ;) .
    There was a romance series I started reading (set in Colorado) where, in one of the stories, the heroine and hero were a long-married couple. They had 3 kids, I believe, all of them college age or older. And I really enjoyed that — it was so refreshing. It was Emily March’s novel Heartache Falls (book #3 in the Eternity Spring series), and it’s one I’d recommend!
    marilynbrant`s last blog was …Short Stories and Sweet Treats