Genesis of Crazy Sexy Love

Edie Crazy Sexy Love 300x439 72dpiCrazy Sexy Love has been available for almost two weeks now, and I thought it would be fun to share how it came about. The title came first. At that point, all I knew about the book was that it needed characters and a plot to match the title.

The plot came in pieces. The boy and girl falling in love at age four was from my own life. My first boyfriend lived down the block from me. Like my heroine, I was about six years old when my heart was broken. An older boy moved into the neighborhood, and he became best friends with my boyfriend, leaving me out in the cold. Sniff.

For my hero, I have a fascination with musicians. In Dead People, the second book I published, the hero was a songwriter who played a guitar. In Dragon Blues, the hero, Noah Long, played the saxophone. He was originally a dragon who loved music so much that, centuries before the story began, he changed to human to enable him to play the pipes. I wanted the hero in Crazy Sexy Love be a piano player, but he had other ideas. Sam, the hero, is severely dyslexic. Banging on the drums helped him get through his frustrations, hurt and anger.

My cousin’s partner is severely dyslexic. He’s smart, and he even went to college for two years…but he can’t read. He gave me a lot of advice, telling me about the different degrees of dyslexia and the way he sees letters as squiggles.

The librarian idea came because I love librarians. They’re some of my favorite people. The career fit my “nice girl” heroine whose mother has MS.

As for MS, a friend has multiple sclerosis. She’s a smart, funny, and likable. I feel for her, and I admire her.

Sometimes I don’t even know what’s behind a character’s makeup. A lot just comes to me or seems to fit. Like the stalker. No stalkers in my life. Cats in immediate need of petting definitely do not count.

What career would you like for a character? What problem or hardship would you give him or her? If you’re an author, where did one of your plot ideas or characters come from?

This entry was posted in Edie's Posts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Genesis of Crazy Sexy Love

1. Edie, I love Crazy Sexy Love, and I hope it gets the many, many readers it deserves.

I love crafting a book out of a single moment, usually between two people, but sometimes just a moment in someone’s life. A few of my books came in to being that way.

• Edie Ramer says:

Michelle, you’re a sweetheart! Thank you! And I love it what you say about your stories coming in to be from a single moment. For Crazy Sexy Love, it took many moments, but Mo’s Heart really came because I wanted my hero to love the heroine deeply and wholly. Even though many other things happened in the story, that’s what I started it with, and I think that’s what readers take away. Not a bad thing. :)

2. Congrats on the new book, Edie! Since I write urban fantasy, I often think about fight or action scenes in a book, and how the heroine will defeat the bad guys.
    Jennifer Estep`s last blog was …Today’s posts …

• Edie Ramer says:

Jennifer, thanks! I’m reading Midnight Frost now, and I’m loving it! I’m more than halfway through. As soon as I’m done with it, I’ll read Killer Frost. I kind of hate to read it, since it’s the last book of the series. I don’t want it to end. :sad:

3. Amy R. says:

Hi Edie – I can’t wait to be able to read Crazy Sexy Love. I love the stories where characters have a history as children. I love witnessing that reunion. As for careers for the characters I read about? I don’t really mind. I find the ones I know nothing about tend to be fascinating to me. While reading about the military, or public service type heroes can be fun, I think it is equally cool to read about someone with a career that isn’t typical “alpha” material. Congrats on the book again!

• Edie Ramer says:

Amy, my only hero who’d been in the military was in Miracle Lane, and he had PTSD. Not the typical alpha romance hero. The hero in my newest book is an architect. I just started it, and I gave him a lot of problems. :twisted:

Thanks, and I hope you enjoy Crazy Sexy Love!

Hi Edie,

Awesome on Crazy Sexy Love – here’s hoping it becomes a best seller!

My idea come from all over the place. I just went for a walk in the cold and found my mind jumping from one scene to another – totally unrelated to books currently in progress!
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Vampire in Defiance is live – book 5 of the Family Blood Ties!

5. marilynbrant says:

Edie,
    You’ve created a lot of really fascinating characters in your books, and you know I have a longstanding love of your musician/dragon Noah ;) .
    I have a relative who’s dyslexic (as well as a part-time musician), so I think it’ll be especially interesting to read about Sam’s journey in Crazy Sexy Love. It’s been waiting patiently on my Kindle!! I’m still in the middle of RITA judging right now, but I’m excited to get to delve into it next month :) .
    marilynbrant`s last blog was …Short Stories and Sweet Treats

• Edie Ramer says:

Marilyn, I hope you’re getting great RITA reads! Interesting that your relative who’s dyslexic is also a musician.

I love all of my heroes, but if I could have one come to life and pick one (and wouldn’t that be fun?), I would probably pick Noah. :)