Let’s Get Our Happy On

Happy March everyone! I’m really glad it’s here. February was a killer writing and editing month for me, and I’m happy that I get a tiny little break before diving into my next book. Thinking back to my crazy busy month, though, I was also really happy to be with my characters and stories for most of the hours in my days. I still can’t believe I get to do this thing I love so much. And so even at one or two in the morning when I could barely see straight anymore, I was happy.

Another thing that makes me happy? The song “Happy” from Pharrell Williams. Did you see him perform it at the Oscars? Oh my gosh, it’s my current favorite tune and I sing it all the time in my head and when it comes on the radio while I’m driving, I dance in my seat. It’s the kind of song that is guaranteed to lift your mood and make you h-a-p-p-y! (My hubby told me his favorite part of the Oscars was watching me clap and sing along to “Happy.” There may have been dancing involved too.) :)

IMG_0848Then last week while taking a quick break away from my computer, I came across this gem. That’s my little guy (who’s not so little anymore) in third grade and this was his Mother’s Day gift to me. I think if we all used these ingredients every day, the world would be a much happier place. And in case you like to bake like I do, I thought I’d share a recipe that definitely makes people happy.

I found this recipe written on a faded piece of paper in a book of recipes my mom had. She’d never made them and I thought I’d give it a try. That was many years ago and this has become a favorite and treasured recipe. Everybody—and I mean everybody!—loves these! Oh, and they’re called Gooey Bars.

For the bottom layer you’ll need:

1 egg
1 box yellow cake mix (I also use lemon and chocolate and think spice might be good too.)
1 cube butter, melted

Mix together and pat into the bottom of a greased 9×13 pan.

For the top layer you’ll need:

2 eggs, beaten
1 8 oz. pkg cream cheese, softened
1 box (1 lb.) powdered sugar

Beat together for 5 minutes at medium speed. Pour over the bottom layer.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. After you take it out of the oven, sprinkle with additional powdered sugar. The filling might fall after taking from oven – that’s okay! These are best if made the day before you want to serve them. I usually make them at night and then let them sit in the pan until the morning. I’ve found that makes cutting them easier. If they’re not completely cool, it’s difficult to cut them without their gooeyness going everywhere.

Swinging back to writing, I got some wonderful news last week that made me super happy. My book, RISKY SURRENDER, is a novella finalist in the Gayle Wilson Award of Excellence Contest. I’m so thrilled and honored to be included with so many writers I admire in all the different categories.

2014GWAoENovella

So tell me, what’s on your happy list at the moment?

This entry was posted in Robin's Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Let’s Get Our Happy On

Congrats on the final! And even more congrats on your son’s recipe! I’m guessing what he wrote was nonfiction instead of fiction.

I started off March 2nd with a really bad cold. It’s better now so that makes me happy. I’ll be able to write today. That makes me happy. And I just danced to Pharrell’s song – and then I petted my cat. That makes me very happy. (Sometimes it’s the little things…. :grin: )

• Thank you, Edie! I’m so glad I came across my little guy’s recipe again. Somehow it had gotten slipped into a drawer, but it is prominently displayed now. It makes me very happy to look at it!

Happy writing today and I’m glad you’re feeling better! *hugs*
      Robin Bielman`s last blog was …March Madness Men of Bliss

Congrats, Robin, on the final! I’m so happy for you. :)

3. robena grant says:

I love Pharrel. Anything he sings is wonderful and makes me happppppy. : ) I skimmed the recipes. Shut my eyes really, because I must maintain focus and cut out sweets, and carbs, and other stuff as I try to shed some extra winter pounds.

Congrats! again on the final. That is awesome!
    robena grant`s last blog was …What’s My Title?

4. elena k says:

I loved your post! how cute is your boy! congrats for being a finalist, you deserve it! well happy is my favorite song these days too! I have it as a ringtone in my phone and when I hear it I always sing and dance around!last week I danced and sang it in the street with my sister (luckily nobody saw us). :lol: I wish he could have won in the oscars! I am happy when I read good books (cannot wait for april 14th ;-) ), that my boyfriend makes the best hugs, that my family is healthy.

• Hi Elena! I so wanted Pharrell to win the Oscar, too! And I love that you and your sister danced in the street. We should all dance in the street more often. :)

I can’t wait for April 14th either!! Good books, hugs from those we love, family – all things that make me happy, too. Really, it’s the little things, right? I’d also like to add that my readers and friends make me happy – thanks for being both!
      Robin Bielman`s last blog was …March Madness Men of Bliss

5. Hi Robin
    Loved the song and the performance at the Oscars. Actually, I thought all of the talent that night was amazing! Bette Midler is an icon and I love her too.
    As for those gems, you’re are so right…seeing things made for me by my kidlets when they were younger always makes me smile! Thanks for posting the recipe! Sounds gooey good!

• Hi Charlene! I so enjoyed the entire Oscar telecast! The talent was awesome. I thought Pink did an incredible job. And U2? *sigh* (Still wanted Pharrell to win, though.) Although the couple that did win for the song from Frozen gave a wonderful speech and I was happy for them. :) Hey, we should bake together sometime!
      Robin Bielman`s last blog was …March Madness Men of Bliss

6. Suzie says:

Hearing great music makes me pull over to the side of the road and dance on the median!!
    Being in the kitchen creating both sweet and savory treats for friends and family makes me blissfully happy! Sharing those recipes on my website puts me in the stratosphere!!

Congrats on your recent accomplishment. Seems there’s nothing you can’t do!!

7. Janie Emaus says:

I wish I could bake!

8. Amy R. says:

Hi Robin – Congrats on the award! Very well deserved. And I can’t imagine you NOT happy. You always seem very happy – one of those contagious people that make people smile in your wake. What’s on my happy list for today? Hmm, let’s see. That I have awesome friends. Awesome friends in my physical live and awesome friends in my online life (how else do you describe it, really). Every time I am down, someone will pick me up with a kind word or song. Friends makes me happy.

• Hi Amy! Thank you for the congrats. And trust me, there are days when I’m not exactly happy and just want to crawl under the bed covers and stay there. But, I do try to find something good in every day – and like you, my friends, both online and off, are a great source of happiness. Plus cupcakes. Those are pretty darn happy-making. LOL
      Robin Bielman`s last blog was …March Madness Men of Bliss

9. marilynbrant says:

Congrats again on the Gayle Wilson final, Robin!!!
    And oh, my goodness, that recipe sounds like something my whole family would love ;) . Thank you for sharing it!!
    As for what makes me happy, today it’s coming across a few songs on my iPod that I haven’t listened to in a while and remembering how much I loved them!
    marilynbrant`s last blog was …A Summer in Europe ~ Book Club Pick!

10. What makes me happy?
    Hopping onto Facebook (which I haven’t been doing often enough lately) and seeing your sweet, funny, hopeful updates.

Love it.
    Congratulations on the success of Risky Surrender.
    Well-deserved, my friend.

Keep smiling!
    XO
    julie gardner`s last blog was …The Space Between

11. Robin, I love that recipe card from your son. Really, really cute :)
    Michelle Diener`s last blog was …Cover Reveal: The Golden Apple

12. Coming late to the party, Robin, but hearing from you always makes me happy! :lol:

And also hungry!! Girl, your cookie/cupcake/gooey-bar/candy thing is dangerously contagious! But cooking and baking is another sure way for me to get happy when I’m feeling down. Crusty French bread, fresh from the oven? Best ever! And easy, too. All my girls learned to bake French bread as kids.
    Roxanne Snopek`s last blog was …When I’m Not Writing Romance Novels…