I’m bad at taking detours – in that I take a lot of them. In my life. In my writing. In my plans to do for a day.
But sometimes the detours are really good for the soul. One year (a long time ago) I was planning to drive about 7 hours north to visit a friend, but I took a detour to stop off at a lake for a break at about the halfway point. The lake was clean, clear and the campground and surrounding park area – empty. I called the same friend and instead of me continuing to her place, she packed up what we needed and met me at the lake where we stayed instead.
That detour turned out so well that gave me the encouragement to make other detours.
In my writing, I’m known for several series and taking a detour from those isn’t exactly a hardship in that it allows me more literary freedom, but it’s unnerving. I know my readers like what I’ve been writing, but will they like what I detoured to write? Of course, like taking a trip to an unknown lake when I should be on the road and driving instead was also a bit of a gamble. And it turned out better than I expected, so I’m hoping these new books will as well. Instead of dark twisted mysteries with psychics and vampires in horrific situations, these new books are lighter, still paranormal but not so dark. Not so twisted. And maybe not so popular – but that’s the chance I have to take. Of course I will continue to write on the other series as well!
In my day to day work life, I am a strong believer in getting work done. I love To Do Lists. (and use www.trello.com to keep my straight) and I believe in rewards. Time off for good behavior and all that. In other words, after I accomplish something (or many somethings depending on the size of the jobs) I get to detour from my work for something fun.
I don’t like to read news at these times, it needs to be light, inspiring or fun detours. Places like
- http://www.lolwall.co/ and yes, it’s exactly what it seems. Great for a few moments of fun.
- http://www.redbullstratos.com/ – where I can watch and learn about other people’s dreams – as crazy as they may seem to me!
- https://www.smalldemons.com/ – It’s almost an encyclopedia of places, people and products from real life mention in favorite BOOKS!
- http://www.wonderhowto.com/ – the name is self explanatory. The place is great for research.
- http://www.wherecoolthingshappen.com/ – I so want to travel and this website keeps my list of destinations always growing! And it has so much more to look at then destinations. This is one example – Giant Desert Art project. The art project was created in 1997 and is called Desert Breath, a Land Art project created by D.A.ST. Arteam.
Did you ever take a detour in life – how did it work out for you? Would you take another one?