Lucky Charms by Misty Evans

MistyEvans_DeadlyDeception_800pxSt. Patrick’s Day is next week and my latest romantic suspense, DEADLY DECEPTION, comes out on that day. I hope it’s a lucky book, but at the very least, the release date is easy to remember.

Superstitions and lucky charms—where would humans be without them? Cameron Diaz believes she would age faster without her special charm necklace. Madonna and Britney Spears wear red strings on their wrists supposedly to ward off negative energy from others who want to sabotage their success. Literary legend Isabel Allende began writing her first published book on January 8, so that’s the day she’s started all subsequent books as well. The list goes on and on.

One of my previous books had a superstitious heroine. In my Super Agent novel, PROOF OF LIFE, Brigit is of Irish decent and believes strongly in lucky charms. She wears four-leaf clover jewelry, carries a rabbit’s foot, and has a tattoo depicting a rainbow on her lower back. Since I love lucky charms – I even eat a bowl of the so-named cereal regularly – I had a blast giving Brigit the same penchant for superstition and luck.

Lucky charms come in all shapes and sizes. Coins, rocks, angels, dragonflies, ladybugs, horseshoes…you name it, someone believes in it. I have a compass my hubby gave me a long time ago that I carry with me as my lucky charm. That way if I get lost, I’ll be able to find my way back to him. :)

As PROOF OF LIFE progresses, Brigit is able to shift her belief in lucky charms to something stronger – love. For many of us, that’s the real luck in whatever charm we carry, because where there is love, there is always hope…and in the end, isn’t that what a lucky charm or superstition gives us? Hope that we’ll be protected from evil, that we’ll be successful in our endeavors, that we’ll find our way home.

I believe books can be lucky charms as well. As Maya Angelou once said, “If one is lucky, a solitary fantasy can totally transform one million realities.” That’s the type of *luck* I hope each of my stories provides my readers…transforming their real world into an adventuresome fictional world for a few hours.

To close, I’ll share this short and sweet Irish wish…

Wherever you go and whatever you do

May the luck of the Irish be there with you.

Do you have a lucky charm or superstition? How has it helped you?

About Misty Evans

USA Today Bestselling Author Misty Evans writes the award-winning Super Agent series, as well as urban fantasy and paranormal romance. She likes her coffee black, her conspiracy theories juicy, and her wicked characters dressed in couture. When her muse lets her on the internet to play, she’s on Facebook and Twitter.
This entry was posted in Holiday Posts, Misty's Posts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Lucky Charms by Misty Evans

1. Cool cover. Congrats on your new book. I would say that my lucky charm is a book necklace that my significant other bought me when my first book came out.
    Jennifer Estep`s last blog was …Guest blog: Edie Ramer on Dogs, Dogs, Gryphons, and Romance …

• Misty Evans says:

Thanks, Jennifer! Kim at Hot Damn Designs always creates amazing covers for me. I hope readers enjoy the story as well as the eye candy. LOL.

A book necklace is so cool! I’ve seen book charm bracelets too. That’s the perfect lucky charm for an awesome author!

Congrats on your book! I used to have gemstones around my house – and then we got the cat. Did you know they love batting stones off of smooth surfaces? lol I ended up giving most of the stones to people who could enjoy them.

3. Amy R. says:

Hey, Misty – congrats on the book! It’s a good one! I forgot those little tidbits about Brigit in PROOF OF LIFE. Guess it’s time to go back and read her story again. :)

As for lucky charms…well, I don’t really have any specifically that I think “this is lucky” however I have things I like to keep with me that give me peace…I have a rock on my desk at work that says “Faith” on it and I wear a heart necklace often that my husband gave me but also add the tiny birthstone rings for each of my kids to it. Just makes me feel closer to all of them when I wear it. I really, really like that compass you talked about from your husband. How sweet is that?

• Misty Evans says:

Amy, I had a good time with Brigit’s character…she kept me guessing about her motives (much like she did Michael) through most of the book.

Your necklace sounds like a keeper for sure. I had a couple of *mom* things when the kids were younger and I always treasure the memories they invoke.

4. marilynbrant says:

LOVE the cover for Deadly Deception, Misty!
    So excited for you about this release — I know it’s going to be a big hit!!
    And LOL about eating the cereal :) . I haven’t bought a box of Lucky Charms in years…but I did yesterday. I was grocery shopping and the special edition St. Patrick’s Day box (with all green marshmallow charms in it) just called out to me with its “50 Years of Magic” slogan. My husband, son and I all had some last night, and I was reminded of how tasty it is!
    I have non-edible lucky charms as well — including a quarter my son gave to me for “good luck” before the Golden Heart awards. It’s still on my desk :D .
    marilynbrant`s last blog was …A Summer in Europe ~ Book Club Pick!

• Misty Evans says:

Marilyn, I love Lucky Charms cereal. I can’t help it. If there’s a box in the house, I eat it every day. Breakfast, lunch, snack time…it’s all good.

Isn’t it funny how are most precious lucky charms come from those who love us? Just like your quarter and Amy’s necklace. They’re imbued with love and hold great power over us. :)

5. Your cover is awesome, Misty! I love it and am so excited for you and Deadly Deception! When I was younger I played a ton of tennis and my mom drove me around to tournaments and I had a pair of lucky earrings – Snoopy holding a tennis racquet. Until the one day I lost a match I shouldn’t have while wearing them and that was the end of that! LOL Now I have a few things that I wouldn’t exactly call lucky charms, but they’re definitely special charms that can always put a smile on my face and make me feel good. Have an awesome week leading up to release day!! I am going to be officially wearing green on the 17th in honor of your book now. :mrgreen:
    Robin Bielman`s last blog was …Happy Monday Musings

• Misty Evans says:

I played tennis, too, Robin! Dreamed of being a champion (doesn’t everyone?) but with only one summer of lessons, that never happened. LOL. I still watch matches on TV religiously and play it on the Xbox. :)

Such a cute story about the Snoopy earrings. I hope you or your mom still has them tucked away somewhere in a keepsake box.

Thank you for the good wishes on my new release. St. Pat’s will definitely be a day of celebration around here.

6. SUCH a great cover, Misty. It sucked me right in! Huge congrats on your upcoming release!