Is it done yet?

Robin Bielman shared the photo below on her Facebook page that she received from one of her readers. It made me smile because I know exactly how that reader feels. We are naturally impatient for that next book to come out from our favorite author.

1507077_613832142035423_2066368641_nAll authors have their own writing pace. Some put out one book a year, others seem to put out a new book every other month. For those authors that are not able to publish books every other month, that leaves us readers waiting…with much anticipation. We don’t want to put pressure on our fave authors but we have to do something to get us through! So, readers, what can we do? I asked this question to two of the street teams I am on and here are some of the things they said (paraphrased)…

• Send them a case of their favorite wine or coffee (okay, this was an author’s suggestion – LOL).
  • Share any teasers/trailers/news/hype about the new book coming out to keep it fresh for readers. Read and review previous books.
  • Pass out swag, such as bookmarks, to friends about the books and the author.
  • Reshare/post anything they have posted about their current books on social media. For example, book blog tours, contests and such.
  • Kick them off of social media when they should be writing. (Nicely, of course).
  • Talk up their characters to keep a series fresh. Maybe share things with the author that reminds you of their books such as photos of potential characters or songs you hear. You can share this on Twitter or maybe on the author’s Facebook page(s).
  • Make something for that author related to their books and send it to them. I know there are crafty people out there, as I have seen pictures of things fans have made.
  • For those authors you know well, keep them encouraged. Writing can be hard at and sometimes they need a laugh, to vent or just need a break. Try to be that resource for them.

There are several things you can do while waiting on that next book from your favorite author. This list is by no means comprehensive. Anything you do will help!

Authors – what things from readers encourage you while writing that next book? Readers – what else can we add to the list?

This entry was posted in Amy R's Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Is it done yet?

1. ki pha says:

Great post Amy!!! This definitely made me laugh and that picture is just hilarious! Thank you Robin!

Ahhh, That list~ Those are some very true way to get us to stay put and sane. But of course we pester, hound, poke, and nag our authors for almost everything! We even tell them off to get back to writing~ Of course we get excited to see them on roaming the web but we sometime know that they have to take a breather one in awhile too. But it’s just very fun to be there for them and reminding them of how much joy they bring us from their stories. So I think kicking them off to go back to writing isn’t so mean of us, right? :)

• Amy Remus says:

Thanks, Ki! I do love interacting with authors on social media, but know they need time away from us pesky readers to write, so I supposed we do need to “encourage” them to get back to the writing! :)
      Amy Remus`s last blog was …Is it done yet?

2. JB Lynn says:

Great post, Amy!

I love when readers write to me, or talk up my books, or interact with me on social media. While my characters may give me headaches, it’s nice to know that they end up being people readers want to spend time with.

But I’ll admit that the “When’s the next book?” question causes me great stress and anxiety, lol.

• Amy Remus says:

Hi, JB! One of the first things I learned when I started interacting with authors is that asking when the next book is coming out can be stressful on a writer. It can be a double edge sword, huh? On one hand you want readers to have liked your previous books enough to read more, yet their excitement can put undue pressure on you to write quickly. I have since *tried* to stop asking. LOL.

3. Math on MM two days in a row – just sayin’!

These are great, Amy! Yes, authors need love and encouragement too – believe me, one kind word can get us through a tough writing day and remind us WHY we do this crazy writing thing. I love seeing pictures of what readers think my characters look like or anything that makes them think of the series. That’s why I think Pinterest is so fun!

Happy Friday, Amy!
    Kelsey
    Kelsey Browning`s last blog was …If You Like Author Cassandra Clare, You’ll Like…

Amy, what a great post! Loved the picture, too.

Just telling me how much they love my books is encouragement. I love emails from readers and comments on social media. :)

• Amy Remus says:

Thanks, Edie! I always wondered how much an author wanted to hear from readers on random things, so it is good to know that quick emails or positive comments can encourage an author.

The fifth tip on your list…you just did this to me yesterday. LOL! Thank you, btw. It worked and I nailed the scene before dinner time.

I love when fans ask for the next book. That kind of stress I can handle. ;-)

6. marilynbrant says:

LOL, Amy!! I loved this post ;) .
    Thank you for sharing such wonderful ideas (I definitely need someone to kick me of FB sometimes…). Probably the best thing as a writer, from my own point of view, is knowing that the readers care about the characters. That the seemingly endless amounts of time I spend writing and revising and revising are worth it to them. So, when a reader simply tweets, “Hey, I just read and loved this book!” or leaves a review on Amazon/B&N/Goodreads, sharing what they enjoyed about the story — the gift of that is immeasurable. It give me more of a boost than even coffee & chocolate :razz: , and it helps me keep writing!
    marilynbrant`s last blog was …Prepping for St. Patrick’s Day

• Amy Remus says:

Thanks, Marilyn! I will remember to keep letting authors know how much I enjoy their books. The reason I started my blog was to be able to have another place to talk about all the great books that I read. :)

7. I love my ostrich and am so happy you enjoyed him, too, Amy! Thanks for mentioning us! And thanks for another great post! I love hearing from my readers. Seriously love. Any note, or quick hello, or picture, or comment is such a gift. I really just need to clone myself so I can get everything done that I need to. hee hee. Happy weekend!
    Robin Bielman`s last blog was …Happy Monday Musings

• Amy Remus says:

I can tell you like hearing from your readers, Robin – it shows in your posts on social media. It makes readers want to read your books! :)

8. Great post, Amy! I also feel slightly sick at the thought of people waiting for my next book, but nothing inspires me to keep going than hearing from readers who loved the previous books or seeing via twitter or FB that people are talking about the books or characters and wanting more.
    Michelle Diener`s last blog was …Cover Reveal: The Golden Apple

• Amy Remus says:

Thanks, Michelle! I can only imagine what it must be like for writers to even have people that want to read their books. And then when they like it, the pressure to make the next book just as good or better. You guys really are rock stars in my book! :)