Who’s Your Hero?

In my current book, the 4th Rescued Hearts novel, the hero is a doctor and a widower, with a young teenage daughter who isn’t doing well emotionally – and I couldn’t get a handle on him. I didn’t want him to be a macho hero, but because of his circumstances, I couldn’t see him as a laughing guy. So I put a call out on Facebook, and I asked whether people wanted my hero to be Dr. McSexy type or a Leonard type from The Big Bang Theory.

Leonard won hands down. So my hero is a nerd. Even though he’s a successful surgeon and his late wife was beautiful, he still feels inept and clumsy in front of the heroine. I’m having fun with the nerdy part of him.

I have a book on heroes and heroines, and my nerdy doctor could fit the “Professor” archetype. Another unusual boyfriend character I like is from the movie Juno. Her boyfriend might fit the “Best Friend” archetype, which is something else you don’t see often in books or most movies. He’s just a really sweet guy who’s a bit nerdy, too. Juno, the heroine, loves this high school track runner so much that she makes him sexy. And he loves her back just as much, and that makes him sexier. Heroes who love the heroine that much and want the best for her are always sexy to me.

Love Actually is of my favorite movies. All the male stars were wonderful. But one that stood out for me was Colin Firth. His character was not a lady killer. Quite the opposite. It starts off with him catching his brother having sex with his girlfriend. So he leaves for France, and he falls for his Portuguese housekeeper who doesn’t speak English. He’s clumsy and awkward – and I was rooting for him.

Yes, I like the alpha and suave sexy Daniel Craig type stars, too. But for me, it’s more fun to write a Leonard type for a change.

What unusual characters would you like to see as a hero?

This entry was posted in Edie's Posts and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Who’s Your Hero?

1. Cool post. I like a mix of heroes. It’s nice to see/read about a really suave hero like a Daniel Craig type and then see/read about a more average guy. And smart is the new sexy, right? LOL.
    Jennifer Estep`s last blog was …Changing seasons, changing reads …

• Edie Ramer says:

Jennifer, thanks! I recently finished the last book of your Mythos Academy YA series (sniff), and they have a great mix of all the male archetypes. I’d definitely classify Logan, the heroine’s love interest, as a Warrior. And warriors are always sexy. :)

2. I love Warrior Kings! They are an advanced Hero, one who not only can save the day, but protect and love the heroine as well. And I LOVE unusual heroes who don’t fit the stereotypes, Edie. I know I’m going to love your next book :)

• Edie Ramer says:

Michelle, Warrior Kings are a combination of “Warriors” and “chiefs.” Definitely the ultimate hero. Thanks, and I hope you love my next book. I’m only 1/6th through it. I hope I like it, too. lol

Hi Edie,

I love the sound of your nerdy hero!

I like a mix of types, myself, but unique ones stand out the most for me.
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Vampire in Defiance is live – book 5 of the Family Blood Ties!

4. marilynbrant says:

Edie,
    Sorry to be reading this late — we just got back from out of town — but I had to say that I *adore* Leonard as a character! We all watch The Big Bang Theory at our house and…well, you probably already know that physics geeks are my type of guy :) . I love a very smart hero, a very musical one and/or any man who can cook REALLY well!
    marilynbrant`s last blog was …Prepping for St. Patrick’s Day

• Edie Ramer says:

Marilyn, welcome home! I’m not surprised that you adore Leonard. Even though he’s nerdy, he’s also sexy. And I’m sure he knows how to fix computers and set them up. And he’d probably format our books for us and update our websites… Sigh. I want a Leonard! lol

5. I’m a Leonard fan, too! We watch TBBT practically every day! I never get tried of watching that show and every once in a while a repeat will sneak in that we somehow missed. I do love me some Daniel Craig, too. Basically, I’m an equal opportunity hero lover! LOL Happy writing, Edie! So far your book sounds awesome!
    Robin Bielman`s last blog was …Happy St. Patrick’s Day + a Sneak Peek!

• Edie Ramer says:

Robin, I’m hooked on TBBT and Modern Family now through reruns! That’s how I became hooked on NCIS, too. I think in the right writer’s hands – not necessarily mine, because I don’t write the kind of book he’d be in – that Gibbs would be an awesome romance hero. Thanks! Happy writing to you, too!

Hi Edie. I love heroes who don’t hesitate when it comes to saving the day. This, of course, discounts the Too Stupid to Live hero. The guy has to have brains. I love Jeanniene Frost’s hero, Bones, from her Night Huntress series. He is ruthless, yet will do anything to keep his wife safe.

Hi Edie! I’ve never watched the show but a lot of people like it. In movies, TV, and books, I prefer drama and alpha heroes. In real life, I like quiet alphas, like my husband. On the surface, they appear nerdy and shy, but underneath, they’re all strong, take-no-prisoners hero!

Real life alphas scare the pants of me. And if one flirts with me, I typically get flustered like your nerdy doctor and turn into a complete mess who has to walk away before she embarrasses herself. :oops:

Good luck with the new book! Sounds like another winner!

Misty, that’s so sweet about your husband. I think he’d make a perfect hero – he’s Clark Kent on the outside, but on the inside, he’s Superman. :)

In real life, I’m not that attracted to super alpha guys. I always liked the cute, nice guys. So Leonard probably would be my kind of guy. As a bonus, he’s funny and smart!