Library Love

An author that I am friends with on Facebook has mentioned spending time at his local library the past few days and has shared some photos (see below). I realized after seeing the photos from Chris Almeida how much I miss going to the library.

Photo Courtesy of Chris Almeida

While I grew up reading and going to the library with my mom, I got away from reading in high school and college in exchange for other activities. I started reading again when I was pregnant with my first child, but then it was just parenting and baby books.

It wasn’t until about five or six years ago that I found reading romance as an escape and became addicted. I did not have an e-reader at the time so I found myself at the library several times per week. Our small town had just built a brand new library and it was awesome. So welcoming and cozy to browse the selections and sit and read a bit from each book before deciding what to take home.

When it was time to search for an e-reader, we went with Barnes & Noble’s Nook because, at the time, it was the only one that would allow lending through libraries. It was a no brainer because I couldn’t possibly spend the average (that I knew) $7.99 + on books every time I wanted to read a book. Our local library offers digital lending, so it was great. However, I found myself physically at the library less and less. I would only go in and snag the latest J.D. RobbLisa Kelypas or Sophie Kinsella book I was not able to borrow digitally.

Photo Courtesy of Chris Almeida

Then I learned about indie authors. Okay, so I didn’t really know that that meant at the time. I just found that I could get books cheap. Like really cheap. Like less than $5.00 cheap. I started browsing through those books on Barnes & Noble’s website and slowly my TBR list started growing. I was at the library even less!

Reflecting on these photos that Chris shared has made me a little nostalgic. I miss the library. I miss the way it feels to be surrounded by books with fantastic stories or those with knowledge to glean. I miss the quiet and calmness. Our library has a fantastic children/young adult section and I miss taking my kids. I need to make time to go to the library and just soak it all up.

What about you? What is your favorite thing about the library?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Library Love

1. ki pha says:

I feel the same way too Amy. I haven’t been in a regular library in ages! Sure I spent hours upon hours at my college library with research and what not (short naps), I haven’t been to my local library since, maybe even middle school! *sighs*

I do miss all the children’s books and the shelves and shelves of different books and genres, newspapers and magazines, even films! But I guess the one thing I missed most about it it walking down the aisles and seeing kids at the library excited about books.
    ki pha`s last blog was …The First James Bond – And the Spies of Mayfair

• Amy Remus says:

Yes, Ki! My kids are exposed to their school library but I want to expose them more to our community library. I think being surrounded by the visuals of the covers of the books is a plus in a library, too. They pull you in. Thanks for stopping by!

2. With all the books in my TBR pile, I find myself visiting the library less too. But my favorite thing is going and browsing through the shelves. I always find a new book/author to try or a series that I need to catch up on.
    Jennifer Estep`s last blog was …Black Widow cover revealed …

• Amy Remus says:

I agree, Jennifer. When I do go to the library I usually visit the “new” shelf to see what our library has received recently. That is where I tend to find new to me authors and books. However, I do tend to stray toward my favorite parts of the alphabet, too.

3. Thank you for the mention, Amy.
    Our new main library was inaugurated a few years ago and it is way bigger than the old one. To me, it’s like an oasis where I can sit and work, browse the shelves when the mind requires a boost, and I always have research material at hand when things get tricky.
    I hope you can find your way back soon. Keep us posted on your new library adventures when you do. :)
    Chris Almeida`s last blog was …It’s Monday! Yes!

• Amy Remus says:

Thank you for the photos, Chris! I think perhaps this summer I am going to make an effort to take the kids to the library more by riding our bikes up there. It is a mile or so across town, but an easy ride.

I still love libraries, though I don’t go as much as I used to, either. Like Chris’s, our new library is bigger than the old one. I don’t use their digital borrowing, just because I have too many unread ebooks on my Kindle. I use it a lot for traditionally pubbed books – fiction and nonfiction – that I reserve. The last time I was there, I checked out Sugarland and Johnny Cash CDs, too. I’ve been listening all week to Johnny Cash at Folsum Prison. :)

• Amy Remus says:

Ooh, I forgot about the other media available, Edie. We do rent DVD’s from our Library a lot. They have an okay selection but also can bring different movies in from other libraries. I love that inter-library loan system they are part of.

5. Amy,
    Ever since I was little, the library was my favorite place in the world. I remember thinking of it as my escape when I was in 2nd grade and had a nasty classroom teacher. The library (and the nice librarian! ) were both havens for me. I even worked part time at our local library until I sold my first book. Do I spent s LOT of time there… But now, like you, I discovered ebooks and buy tons of them! At $3.99 and under, I can get so many stories, and it’s convenient to carry all 400+ of them around with me. It’s definitely cut down on my library time… I always have so much in my TBR pile!

• Amy R says:

That is neat that you had a safe place to go, Marilyn. I grew up in a college town and we had a decent sized library so there were a lot of programs for kids. I guess the positive side of the digital books is different options for publishing for authors. There are so many authors I would have never discovered. :)

Hey Amy. Great blog and a wonderful reminder of what libraries have meant to me. Seems like everyone else commenting, my visits have become few and far between in the past several years. For me, the library was a place to escape to. I grew up with eight siblings and it was one of the few places where I could get away for some quiet (undisturbed) reading time. Plus, with that many siblings, money was tight, so buying books was pretty much out of the question.

• Amy R says:

Hi Liz – I can see why you would want to escape to the library with that many siblings. I bet you enjoyed the peace and quiet it offered! And, we also rarely were able to buy books growing up so I relied on the library to have the newest Babysitter’s Club or Sweet Valley High books. :)

7. Mary Hughes says:

Hi, Amy! Thanks for this post. It reminded me of all the things I love about the libraries I’ve been fortunate enough to visit. The smell, the hushed excitement, the feeling of being on the cusp of finding a wonderful new world to explore…I miss going every week but I do like the convenience of checking out a book online before getting it. :)

• Amy Remus says:

I agree about checking out books online, Mary! The nice thing about that is that you can do it anytime – you can do it in the middle of the night if you need a fix! :)

8. I love both my libraries! I’m greedy and belong to two :)

I love that you can find unexpected treasures in a library. When I buy online, I generally know what I’m looking for, but in a library I never know quite what I’m going to find.