All the Books I’ve Loved Before

VenetiaOn one of my online groups, some of the members were talking about their comfort reads – books they loved and read again and again. The book titles weren’t given, just the authors. Georgette Heyer was probably the most mentioned. Other names were Agatha Christie, Mary Stewart, Elizabeth Cadell. I was a bit surprised, because these authors are all…well, dead. But the funny thing is that they are among my favorite authors, too.

I have so many unread books on my Kindle, and with writing my own books and leading my life, I don’t have much time to reread. On the rare occasions when I do, it’s mostly  two authors: Jayne Ann Krentz (her Jayne Castle and Amanda Quick books, too) and Mary Balogh. They are my comfort reads, though I have read Michelle Diener’s books more than once. :)

mysterywomanI used to be a huge rereader, but one thing that ebooks and indie publishing has brought is many books – and many of them good or great ones. I love it that indie publishing has enabled so many authors to publish these books. Not just authors who’ve never been published before, but also traditionally published authors who have written books that publishers deem not marketable. So the authors are publishing these books themselves and finding readers who love them.

For a long time, western romances were dead, yet indie authors are becoming bestselling authors with their western romances. The same thing goes for other categories. (Jennifer Estep’s Bigtime series is a great example of books hard to fit in a slot. Karma+Girl+(Bigtime+superhero+series,+Book+1)I’ve reread the first book, Karma Girl, several times. She has all them in a bundle now, too, so you can get them for a bargain price!)

I also like shorter length books and novellas that I’ve been finding in ebooks. They fit my time-to-read schedule. So though I still have the urge once in a while to read an older Loretta Chase book or (going further back in time) a Zenna Henderson book, it’s probably not going to happen for a while.

What about you? What are the books you’ve loved before? Do you reread any of them?

This entry was posted in Edie's Posts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to All the Books I’ve Loved Before

1. Thanks, Edie! I appreciate that. :cool:

I don’t reread so much now (too many books waiting in my TBR pile), but I used to read and reread a lot of books/authors from the library when I was younger, including the Nancy Drew books and Agatha Christie.
    Jennifer Estep`s last blog was …Spider’s Bite e-book on sale for $1.99 through May 2 …

2. Mary Hughes says:

Too true, Edie! Lol, so many books, so little time. :) Last year I finished my Belgariad 10-year reread and am actually just trying to find time to reread Robin McKinley’s Sunshine. The Bigtime series looks awesome!

• Edie Ramer says:

Mary, I had to look up Belgariad. And now I’m going to check out Robin McKinley’s Sunshine. I’ve read and enjoyed other books by her, but not that one. And the Bigtime books are awesome!

• Liz Kreger says:

Hey, Mary. Funny you mentioned McKinley’s “Sunshine” book. I just started it today. :cool: I’m only into the first chapter, but so far its awesome.

Hi Edie,

I went through a bunch of books I just couldn’t get through about a year ago, and since then I’ve been on a rereading binge. I adore anything JAK, JD Robb, and Catherine Coulture.

I figure I’m almost ready to try news again!

4. Amy R says:

Hi Edie – I miss rereading books. I will admit that sometimes I will reread parts of books – the best parts depending on my mood. In the past, when I didn’t have a growing TBR list I would reread Shannon Stacey, Jeffe Kennedy, Adrienne Giordano and Misty Evans a lot. These days I can barely keep up (as you can tell from a review you are waiting on from me – gah!). However, hopefully I’ll get to the point that I can balance out reading new books and rereading my favorites. :)
    Amy R`s last blog was …Review & Giveaway: A SHOT OF RED by Tracy March

• Edie Ramer says:

Amy, I know how busy you are. You just can’t do it all – or, in this case, read them all. :)

Good luck on finding that balance. When you do, write a book about it. I think it would become a bestseller.

I agree with every one above, Edie. So many books … so little time. I’ve come to the conclusion that I will NEVER get through my TBR pile … or even make a dent in it for that matter. I used to re-read books, but find little time anymore. I will, however, listen and re-listen to books on cd. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve listened to Jeaniene Frost’s series or Daryna Jones’. Both authors are well worth hearing over and over.

• Edie Ramer says:

Liz, it’s wonderful to listen to books when I’m driving, especially when there’s a great narrator. Now that I work at home, I don’t drive enough for me to do this anymore.

6. Edie, your list and mine are so similar. I like rereading Dick Francis every now and then, too, but I do reread less now, just have too much writing and too many new books to read.