Spring – the good and the bad

It’s a tough time of year for me. Spring always means spring cleaning, garden cleaning, painting, fixing little things that I’d pushed off because the weather had been ugly for so long. But the weather has now turned, (evidenced by my sunburn today), and that meant buckling down and getting some chores done.

This last week I cleaned the closets and pulled together several big bags of stuff to go to bulging-closetcharity My fruit trees have been trimmed, my winter dead-fall has been cleaned out and a load has been taken to the dump. The first of several loads I have lined up to go to the dump.

So far this spring, I have painted the interior walls in my home, had the cement fixed out in the front of the house, and I am now painting the outside fence. It’s not a small fence, and covers four sides of my property. It’s also hot out today. This is not one of my favorite projects.

There’s another reason why I’ve been focusing on getting some of these items off my To Do list – my laptop is in for repairs – and I’m struggling to live without it. I do have a desktop I share with my kids. That is not the same as having my own laptop back. I love to write. And when I can’t – I feel stifled. Out of sorts. Lost if you will.

I have been doing a little writing – I have an old AlphaSmart 3000 that I have been using in small spurts to keep my word count climbing. I did finish a novella this way and am working on a second one right now.as3000-large

So as long as my laptop is missing, I’m limping along with my writing and knocking these home improvements off my plate as fast as I can. I still have the deck to redo – but I hope my laptop is back long before I get to that point. :)

There is one good thing about the mindless drudgery of all these projects, is that my mind gets to flow freely – and that’s a good thing! Ideas for new books and twists on old ones are popping up all over the place.

Who knew that drudgery could inspire creativity!

What projects are on your To Do list?

About Dale Mayer

Dale Mayer writes romantic suspense, with or without paranormal elements like TUESDAY'S CHILD (2011) and now young adult books in various genres like DANGEROUS DESIGNS (2011). Writing stabilizes her in a life gone wild! The other stabilizers? Cheesecake and her four cats! Of course, she's dreaming to think she'll get a piece cheesecake once her four kids find out she's been baking!
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Spring – the good and the bad

1. I’m with you — I’ve been trying to do some spring cleaning. It’s been slow, one room at a time, but I’m getting there.
    Jennifer Estep`s last blog was …It’s not the book, it’s me …

• Dale Mayer says:

Hi Jennifer,

It’s hard to do, isn’t it? There always seems to be so many closest to do! Ugh. I’m just getting changed back into painting clothes to go tackle that dratted fence again. lol.
      Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Launch Party Winners!

2. Oh man, I was itching to get outside and do some yard work after this winter. Of course, Spring’s my favorite season, so there’s that. Good luck with all your projects and I hope your laptop comes home soon. =o)
    B.E. Sanderson`s last blog was …Chunky Apple Cake

• Dale Mayer says:

Hi there,

The yard work seems a little bigger this year, lol, or maybe I’m just a little more tired. I’ve cut out the deadfall and mulch and taken a shovel and clippers to many of the perennials already. And thanks – I’m really hoping to get that laptop back very soon!
      Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Launch Party Winners!

I’m not a spring cleaner but we had my husband’s family here for Easter, and I had to clean my house for that – at least the downstairs. My husband does most of the outside work. We’re still wearing sweatshirts by us. It’s cold! And it’s been raining all week. But before the rain started, my husband burned a lot of dead-fall.

I bet it feels good to get so much done. And it will make you really happy when your laptop is back and you dive back into writing.

• Dale Mayer says:

Hi Edie,

Having company is just as bad. I suddenly see my house through their eyes and cringe. Usually sends me into a major binge of cleaning. Nice that your husband does the outside work. That takes an incredible amount of my time. And my son is quite badly sunburnt from yesterday. I’m gearing up to get started now, so as to be able to knock it off a little earlier today.

It does feel good to get so much done! But it will better when I get my laptop back.
      Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Launch Party Winners!

4. Mary Hughes says:

Hi Dale,
    Wow, you’ve gotten a lot done! Congratulations on writing so much too–especially on the substitute technology. That can’t have been easy :) We have to build a deck this year, paint the kitchen and bathrooms, and redo the front garden. Love the observation about creativity and time away-from-keyboard. I don’t miss my morning hour commute, but I do miss that time to play with story ideas to my heart’s content :)

• Dale Mayer says:

Hi Mary,

The substitute technology works in a pinch, but definitely isn’t a replacement for my laptop. I so wanted it back before the weekend! And on your list, I have to redo the deck, but the rest is done!!! :)

I always found the commute time was great for solving story issues. But I don’t miss it. lol
      Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Launch Party Winners!