Getting Back Into The Groove

I was sitting here at my computer … first off trying to think of an idea for today’s blog, then thinking about my writing career in general. It occurs to me. What writing career? My last book, “Promise for Tomorrow” came out in 2009. And — I haven’t put out anything since.

FrustrationSure, I’ve been working, albeit slowly. I have one book with my agent, which doesn’t appear to be getting snatched up by anyone, I have three or four books written, but in dire need of editing. And finally, I’m presently doing mega-revisions on the Urban Fantasy that I’ve been working on for far too long. Granted, my health issues have been serious and requires constant treatment and attention. (Yes, we’re talkin’ cancer here along with a wonky hip). The fatigue alone makes it difficult to generate any real interest in devoting the time necessary to writing when sleep and rest is so much more attractive (and necessary). Then there’s the constant feeling of being vaguely sick all the time. A sort of bleh feelin’.

So, as a result, the writing has taken a back seat in my life.

However, things have changed lately. I’m on a treatment that has diminished the fatigue somewhat, and taken away quite a bit of the bleh feelin’. Plus, I’m now working part-time. I put in full days on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and have Tuesdays and Thursdays off. You’d think I’d would find plenty of time to write on those two days. Yet … no. I find that it takes three times as long to accomplish even the simplest tasks and as far as doing any major tasks, such as cleaning or gardening, I’m usually left feeling sore and exhausted afterward.

This is also a mind set that I have to work myself into. I have these two days off. This is golden. I should start with working one hour on each of those days, then work it into two hours, three hours, four … and so on. I would certainly accomplish a lot. Round one of the revisions that I’m doing on the Urban Fantasy is nearly done. It shouldn’t take me as long to do the second round and polish that puppy until its ready to pitch to my agent.

Calvin_And_Hobbes_Dance1With a bit of effort and lots of work, I’m sure I can get this “Writing Career” back on track. How ‘bout you? Anyone out there that feels their career, whether its in writing or otherwise, has been sidetracked for various reasons? And how did you get back into the groove?

About Liz Kreger

Liz Kreger writes science fiction/romances and to date, has two books published by Samhain Publishing ... FORGET ABOUT TOMORROW and PROMISE FOR TOMORROW. Liz is presently branching out to contemporary paranormals and is experimenting with urban fantasy.
This entry was posted in Liz's Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Getting Back Into The Groove

1. Mary Hughes says:

Liz, you’re amazing an absolute inspiration to me with your perseverance! My best solution for the things that sidetrack me is like your one hour at a time–I do one thing, just one step. Then the next. One step at a time :)

• Liz Kreger says:

Well then, that sounds like the plan I’m gonna go with. Work one hour (no interruptions allowed), continue if I’m on a roll and go from there.

Thanx for the kind words, Mary. But I just do what I gotta do. Sure as hell beats whining (I’ve been known to do that, ‘pon occasion) and playing the “poor pitiful me” card … although I’ve done that once or twice. :lol:

Liz, I feel for you. I know it’s not easy sometimes when you’re healthy, and it’s got to be worse when you’re feeling bleh .. or worse. I love your writing, and that last UF was amazing. I’m so glad you’re almost done with the revisions for the UF. Yay!!!

• Liz Kreger says:

Thanx, Edie. I really am excited about this UF. Even after working on it as long as I have, it still holds my interest. Normally there’s a feeling of relief when you finish a book, but I’m eager to finish the final revisions and start exploring the second book I have niggling at the back of my mind. :wink:

3. Like Mary said, you are so inspiring. If I had to deal with everything that you do, I’d probably be curled into a ball on the floor.

I think we all feel like we get sidetracked. Unexpected things always pop up, but I guess that’s just life, for better or worse.
    Jennifer Estep`s last blog was …Authors After Dark is approaching …

• Liz Kreger says:

Oh, believe me Jenn. There are days when I’d like nothing more than to curl up, rock back and forth and whine … loudly. However, I never saw the point of it. And its like my SIL says (she’s a cancer survivor herself, so she’s allowed) “You have 24 hours to feel sorry for yourself. Then get over it.” Words to live by.

Liz, you’re doing great. We’re all so proud of you. I know if you can kick cancer’s ass, you can get back into writing when you’re ready.

Reading always motivates me. You need ideas and inspiration, so do what inspires you. And like several others said, do short writing sprints (some days, I do 15-minute ones) or set the timer for an hour and go for it. Give yourself permission to have fun and just write!

I agree, Misty, reading is a great motivator … provided you don’t take it overboard and do nothing else, to the detriment of your writing.

Yep, it sounds like taking it slowly may be the way to go. Starting Thursday. I’m switching work days with a co-worker and will be doing Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday this week. So I’ll implement my plan Thursday … provided the muse doesn’t strike and urge me to begin tonight. But I wouldn’t hold my breath. After working a full day and then hubby called to say we gotta get the veggie garden in tonight … hmm, don’t know if the energy will be there.

6. Liz, I’m a firm believer in taking it one step at a time, and shrugging off the guilt of what I should have done, and concentrating on the now. You can’t get the time back when you could have been writing but didn’t, so don’t think about it, just look ahead to working slowly back to full speed.

You are always so positive and your attitude has always inspired me.
    Michelle Diener`s last blog was …Release day: A Dangerous Madness

• Liz Kreger says:

Thanx, Michelle. Very true that I cannot dwell over time lost. It’s a matter of moving forward and getting back into the groove. I recall when I’d wake up at 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning and get a ton of writing done. Dang, I miss those steroids. :lol: It was an incredibly productive time in my life.

7. Liz, I’m in awe of you, too. Especially the determined and positive attitude that comes through in your words. One day at a time, I always say, and pretty soon those days can add up to something great. Take care and I’m so glad that your UF is nearly done. Yay!
    Robin Bielman`s last blog was …FREE Read! Plus a Giveaway!

• Liz Kreger says:

Thanx, Robin. I’m a firm believer in a positive attitude. I’ve been playing the cancer game for just over 18 years and totally believe its my attitude that has allowed me to get this far.

I’d always wanted to go part-time with the job, figuring I’d be able to get more writing done, but I find it is difficult to tune my mind into the gift of extra time. There’s always this or that which needs to get done and for some reason I’m under the impression that that’s more important. Gotta give myself a slap. :???:

Remember to honor the little things and every day try to do just a little bit more. We all have to force ourselves to write sometimes. And getting back into the groove is best when you have a book you are excited about. Good luck on your UF!!!
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Broken Protocols is here!