Just for Laughs—Favorites #7 Comics & Cartoons

photo credit: kevin dooley via photopin cc

photo credit: kevin dooley via photopin cc

Let’s get to know each other!

In these first months as a Magical Musings blogger, I’m sharing my 10 favorite things and hope to hear about yours.

I love humor across the board, but my favorite type is the concentrated form known as the cartoon. It’s such an expressive medium, from subtle to over-the-top, but always bite sized.

To me, cartoons are the visual equivalent of poetry, but for humor :)

This is me. http://xkcd.com/1267/

When I start the day by checking out my favorite cartoons, I start the day with a smile. On Facebook I follow Garfield, Pearls Before Swine, and Zits. Online my faves are Freefall, Sinfest, User Friendly, and xkcd (pictured at right).

If novels are movies, comics are a camera’s snapshot. They tell a story too, with setup and payoff but in just a few frames. I thoroughly admire the focus and clarity of thought and visualization the artist must have. The best, as with all art forms, shed light on the human condition. Which is probably why I tend toward the geeky ones. lol.

I miss some favorites. Peanuts, Calvin and Hobbes, and Pogo, as well as the always perspective-shifting Far Side.

Nixie’s lost her mojo!

Cartoons have had a huge influence on my writing, especially with some of the snarkier characters like five-foot-even punk rock musician Nixie. She’s my version of a cartoon, tossing out one-liners as she observes her world from her unique perspective. Here’s the warning from Murder at Chipmunk Lake, a new Nixie and Julian story coming July 30.

Nixie Emerson, punk rock musician and first-time mom-to-be, has a stalker!

Warning: contains a cranky pregnant lady trying to control her swearing, a master vampire appeasing his wife with food and creative sex, murder, mayhem and several arguments over what to name the baby.

Do you enjoy cartoons? What are your favorites?

About Mary Hughes

As a girl, I spun romantic, happily-ever-after stories to get to sleep. A husband and family, two degrees and a blackbelt later, I'm delighted to spin them for readers. I've lived with love and loss, in bright times and dark, and learned we can all use a break from reality every now and then. So join me for action, sparkling wit and red-hot love. Strong men. Stronger women. Visit me at http://www.maryhughesbooks.com Facebook http://www.facebook.com/MaryHughesAuthor Twitter http://www.twitter.com/MaryHughesBooks
This entry was posted in Mary's Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Just for Laughs—Favorites #7 Comics & Cartoons

Mary, I love the snarkiness of your characters – yet they’re never mean.

Some of my favs are Zits, Curtis, Luann. And that’s odd, since they’re all about teens (except Curtis, who’s 11 – which I know because I just looked it up). But Beetle Bailey is still a favorite, too. My online humor is often cat or dog videos, which I usually find on Facebook. :)

• Mary Hughes says:

Hi Edie! Thanks for your kind words :) I’m glad to hear the snarkiness doesn’t edge over into mean. I work very hard on that, to make the humor come from the humanity of the characters.

I love Zits and enjoy the others you mentioned too! The high school years are full of funny, poignant moments. Pet videos are awesome. Have you seen Simon’s Cat? https://www.youtube.com/user/simonscat

2. Hi Mary! I love the idea of starting each day by reading a cartoon or two. That would definitely set a happy tone for the day. I used to read cartoons in the paper all the time, but haven’t in a long while. Congrats on your upcoming release!! *hugs*
    Robin Bielman`s last blog was …Release Day for Veiled Target!

• Mary Hughes says:

Hi Robin,

Thanks! *hugs* back :) And congrats on your brand-new paranormal, Veiled Target!

I used to read comics in the paper too, looking forward to the afternoon delivery and especially Sunday morning’s. Now it’s easy to click on the hyperlink. So many are online now, at gocomics.com.

My sons had all kinds of Peanuts and Far Side cartoon books growing up. Peanuts was always my favorite, and I have many fond memories of sitting at the dinner table discussing some topic and one of the boys would say, “Remember that Far Side comic about…” Another cartoon series that could really shift your perspective..we all shared a lot of laughter over those takes on real life.

• Mary Hughes says:

Hi Misty,

Our son too! He’d buy those plus Fox Trot and Dilbert. Although the whole family would borrow them :)

Love a family that discusses what they read! Far Side is a special favorite. How Larson could put that much punch in one frame, and make even a herd of cows so human :) I don’t know, but I really admire it.
      Mary Hughes`s last blog was …Just for Laughs–Favorites #7 Comics and Cartoons

Oh I do miss those wonderful old cartoons!!! Peanuts is an old favorite of mine. I love anything that puts a smile on my face first thing in the morning! ;)

• Mary Hughes says:

Hi Dale,

I do miss Charles Schultz and Peanuts. I get sad when I realize there are no new Farside or Calvin and Hobbes and other old comics, but I go back and reread them every so often, and they seem brand new :)