Entitlement

courtesy of elixher.com

courtesy of elixher.com

What is this with entitlement, self-esteem and “you deserve (fill in the blank)”? I noticed this trend seemed to have appeared in the past ten or so years. Or its just the fact that I have a daughter and these little “self-esteem” issues seemed to pop up every time you turn around. Got a child in kindergarten? Well, you have to have a graduation into the grade school. This usually involves a dress cap and gown and a certificate is received. Excuse me … but, big whoop. We didn’t do anything like that in the olden days when I advanced from kindergarten to grade school and I like to think I turned out okay.

And, of course, the process continues when you go from grade or elementary school into high school. Used to be that the only graduation certificate you got was upon yo compleation This I gotta see

Oh, and we mustn’t damage his or her self-esteem. Who knows what damage you can unknowingly wrought in later years when she’s in therapy blaming the parents for every failure bad or short-coming he or she might manifest. Can you picture that? :lol:

Then there’s the “Getting what you deserve.” Since I now work part time, I’m home and watching more television. This subjects me to some pretty hokey commercials. The car commercials are bad enough, but when they throw in the law firms or the attorneys commercials, I just want to puke. These firms always manage to get their clients umpteen million dollars because “They deserve it.”

What’s your opinion on these entitlements? Me? I’m a believer in hard work and perseverance … which is probably the reason I’ll never be rich and famous :wink: . I can’t see having everything handed to me on a silver platter.

About Liz Kreger

Liz Kreger writes science fiction/romances and to date, has two books published by Samhain Publishing ... FORGET ABOUT TOMORROW and PROMISE FOR TOMORROW. Liz is presently branching out to contemporary paranormals and is experimenting with urban fantasy.
This entry was posted in Liz's Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Entitlement

1. Sing it, sister! The first time I heard of 8th grade graduation, my first thought was “What kinda of job can you get with an 8th grade degree?” ;o)

When my daughter was 4, she participated in preschool graduation. It was cute. The kids made ‘caps and gowns’ out of construction paper. But I didn’t take it seriously. Some of the other parents? :eyeroll:

Don’t get me started on other entitlements or commercials. We’ll be here all day. Hard work and perseverance are definitely what’s needed and what seems to be so lacking. Great post, Liz. =o)
    B.E. Sanderson`s last blog was …Fat Boy

• Liz Kreger says:

Thanx, B.E. Yeah the whole graduating from kindergarten is cute, but come on … When you have three or four unnecessary graduations throughout the twelve years of going to school … to me it diminishes the final graduation from high school.

Kindergarten graduation? Yeah, ridiculous. I definitely see a lot of entitlement. We recently got Amazon Prime, and it’s possible we might be streaming a lot of our TV watching from now on. I’d like to learn how to do it. Though we still have our favorite shows, so I’m not sure if we can drop our cable. But it’s something to think about…

3. Mary Hughes says:

Thanks for this post, Liz! I always ask myself who profits most when commercials tell me it’s for “my” benefit. Lol.

• Liz Kreger says:

Its the suckers who believe they’ll actually get $3 million for a personal injury. I’ve worked for a law firm for over twenty years and unless its a class action suit, a plaintiff will not see that kind of money. Plus the firm normally gets 30% of any final amount.

Hi Liz,

Yeah, see I’m not big on that whole gimme thing. Hard work and perseverance work for me and they’d darn well better work for my 4 kids or I’ll die trying. lol.
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Skin is here! A special new release!

5. Amy R says:

I agree, Liz! My husband coaches a travel baseball team and so many kids just assume that if Mom or Dad complains, they should be able to play any position without putting in any hard work and not showing up to practice. We try very hard to teach our kids that if you want something, you need to work hard for it. You don’t just get it. This is a difficult task when there is so much “entitlement” stuff going around. And what’s up with the not keeping score in games when they are younger? C’mon. Yes, you can teach them how to lose gracefully and that it is just a game, but work your tail off to try and win the games. Don’t just show up, which seems to be what they are teaching the kids.

6. That’s why I insisted my children learn a musical instrument. It’s one really clear way of showing you don’t just show up and suddenly you can play beautifully. You have to work at it. Through the years they’ve wanted at times to give up when they went up a level and had to work harder, but now? Both of them are so glad they stuck with it, and my 9yo tells me playing the piano makes him feel very happy, especially because he knows he’s doing a good job. My daughter is extremely talented, and she also is grateful I stuck to my guns and made her persevere. She plays so well and it gives her a sense of accomplishment and pride, because of the work that went into it. And really, 30 mins practice a day is NOT that much work. They’ll happily spend more than that on a computer or iPad, so I don’t think I was asking that much, LOL.