Memorable Idiosyncrasies

I just returned yesterday from a two-week tour of England, Ireland and Scotland, which started and ended in London. Because it’s the end of the tourist season, there were only 18 of us, plus our tour director and the driver. I’m so glad that we went on this particular tour, and that it was smaller. We got to know each other much more than if it had been a bigger group.

The amazing Stonehenge!

The amazing Stonehenge!

When I started on the tour, I planned to try to use this in a future book so I could deduct some of the costs on my taxes. Near the end, I did think of a plot in which I could use all three countries. But when I looked at it a couple days later, I was pretty sure I wouldn’t write it. My books are about people and their idiosyncrasies and what makes them wonderful. They aren’t about places. So though I won’t be able to take deductions for the trip, I have a lot more ideas for characters that I’ll be using.

I could easily use one woman as a heroine. She found out early in the trip that she might have a blood clot in her leg, and there was something wrong with her knee. Instead of booking an early flight home or sitting sedately on her bus seat as much as possible, she was dancing down the aisle of the bus – at one point even saying to me, “I’m going to put on a show.”

She and the friend she was traveling with set the laughing, fun tone on the bus, so that it felt more like a party bus instead of a bus filled with mostly retired adults who’d booked the tour that started after school had started so the crowds would be thinner.

We also had a ‘hat lady.’ She and her husband were from Newfoundland, Canada, but spent half their year in Florida. And she looked so lovely in her hats, that I bought one, too. (I’ll wear it to my next authors’ lunch.) And our tour director spoke very English-y. Words and phrases like ‘quite lovely,’ ‘quite nice’ and ‘quite quite.’ (There were many others, and I wish I would’ve written everything down; a few of the others did.) And at the end of sentences, he liked to put his lips together and say, ‘Hmmmmmmmm.’

On our last evening, my husband and I saw War Horse at a West End theater. I loved it. The ending especially was amazing, and I was crying – and it was a great cry because it was sad and happy. I’ll never write a book like War Horse, but I’d love to write an ending that would make people feel a mix of emotions, with happy winning out.

So though the places I saw were magnificent and they had a great story, so were the people on the bus.

What’s your favorite trip, and what do you remember most about it?

This entry was posted in Edie's Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Memorable Idiosyncrasies

1. Mary Hughes says:

Welcome back, Edie! Sounds like you had a marvelous trip. Great travel companions can make all the difference, and it sounds like yours were the best! Reminds me of our college wind ensemble touring Europe. The sites were fascinating, but the fun was finding new treats and places with my buddies, like the time we got lost in Prague and stumbled on a great little pub that brewed their own beer 🙂

• Edie Ramer says:

Mary, thanks! It is nice to be back, though I’ll be washing clothes today – and it’s colder in Wisconsin than the Uk. 🙁

Your Prague trip sounds like it was great fun. We stumbled upon a few great pubs in the UK, too. 🙂

2. So glad you had a great trip and are back home safe and sound. 😎

One of my favorite trips was when my cousins and I went to Savannah one year. We picked up some pretty shells and brought them home … not realizing that the shells were actually crab shells with live crabs in them. Quite a surprise when we opened our suitcases to see all these crabs crawling around everywhere. LOL.
    Jennifer Estep`s last blog was …Black Widow, Elemental Assassin #12, up for pre-order …

• Edie Ramer says:

Jennifer, thanks for giving me my first big laugh of the morning. Now I’m wondering if you ate the crabs, though I’m guessing they were too small.

I’d love to see Savannah some day. I’ve heard it’s lovely. When I do, though, I’ll be sure not to take any pretty shells home. lol

3. So glad you had a great trip, Edie! I don’t think I realised you were going on an organised tour. It sounds like it was a lot of fun! I’ve been lucky to have lots of trips, but my most recent one to Spain was so great. I still get the warm fuzzies thinking about it.
    Michelle Diener`s last blog was …Release Day for The Silver Pear

• Edie Ramer says:

Michelle, our original plans had changed, and we went with my brother and sister-in-law who were familiar with the tour company. I’m glad we went with them, and we had a lovely time.

Your Spain trip did sound wonderful – as if you were glowing just writing about it. 🙂

4. Sheila says:

Your trip sounds lovely!
    I love to travel. I’ve been to the UK several times. I went to Italy a couple of years ago and fell in love with that country.
    I know what you mean about wanting to write a memorable ending.
    Oh! And my best friend Isaac was the lead in War Horse on Broadway when it was here! I got to go backstage after the play and check out the puppets!

• Edie Ramer says:

Sheila, how awesome to go to the backstage of War Horse on Broadway! And to see your best friend in the role is amazing.

A couple in our group had been to Italy, and they urged us to go there, too. They said that of all the places they’ve been, that was their favorite. 🙂

5. If I’d known you were coming, Edie, we could have arranged to meet. 🙂
    Next time you’ll have to include Wales in your itinerary – lots of lovely scenery.

• Edie Ramer says:

Evonne, I thought of that! I wanted to email you, but I had a book due for a box set, and I finished it a few days before we left. I felt like I was a crazy woman. I’m sorry I didn’t get to meet you.

6. Amy R says:

Sounds like a fun trip, Edie! I have never been outside the US, so I hope to someday travel internationally. My mother went to Ireland where I have some roots, so it would be neat to go back with her sometime. Of course the typical places like Paris and London would be wonderful to visit. Australia would be a great place to go, too. My favorite trips I have taken have been to Florida for the amazing beaches and the Columbia River Gorge between Oregon and Washington. That was beautiful.

• Edie Ramer says:

Amy, I loved Ireland. One of my favorite parts. Actually, except for seeing War Horse and some of the historical places (Tower of London!), I didn’t love London as much as the other places I was at. It’s a big city, and I guess I like smaller places.

I’ve never been to Oregon or Washington. I’d love to go both places.