Thoughts on Writing…and Coffee

People ask all the time, “where do you get your inspiration?” I give them the standard speech about being inspired by rainbows, puppy dogs, my husband, and life in general. My real answer should be…”Coffee.”

Others ask, “how do you write so fast?” I tell them about schedules and to-do lists and being organized. The real answer? Coffee.

“What’s your favorite thing about writing?”

“What’s the one thing you can’t do without?”

I’m really not a coffee addict <cough, cough> but it’s my one vice in life. I’m inspired by many things, and I enjoy them more with an espresso. I write fast and have lots of ideas because I’m hopped up on caffeine most of the day.

Okay, so my favorite thing about writing isn’t necessarily coffee. It’s entertaining my readers, but, swear to God, I would be far less entertaining if I didn’t have my daily cuppa joe.

And I couldn’t be a successful writer without my laptop, my wonderful assistant Amy, support from my family and friends. I couldn’t do without any of them. Or my dogs. Or my bookshelf of books that inspire and motivate me.

But in the end, don’t mess with my coffee. I’m a writer. I NEED my coffee.

Luckily for me, my husband is roasting beans and selling coffee again. I get to taste test everything he makes. It’s a tough job, but someone has to do it. 🙂 He’s concentrating on organic, free-trade beans, and can do any kind of roast. Now I have my own personal source for the dark roast I love so much and I can have all of it that I want! Mwahahaha…

Yes, he’s totally enabling me, but isn’t that what best friends are for?

Which reminds me, it’s time for my daily pour-over.

Now that I’m well caffeinated, I better go write!

Readers, what’s your addiction? Books? TV? Ryan Gosling?

About Misty Evans

USA Today Bestselling Author Misty Evans writes the award-winning Super Agent series, as well as urban fantasy and paranormal romance. She likes her coffee black, her conspiracy theories juicy, and her wicked characters dressed in couture. When her muse lets her on the internet to play, she’s on Facebook and Twitter.
This entry was posted in Misty's Posts and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Thoughts on Writing…and Coffee

1. Mary Hughes says:

Coffffeeeee! Oh, Misty, you’ve hit on my favorite. I adore the perfect roast. Trying to read the email on the bag and does he take paypal? Lol. Thanks for the best post 🙂

• Misty Evans says:

Mary, he’s got this cool machine that can roast on super light all the way to super dark. I love to watch the beans go round and round in that roaster. It’s like candy to me. 🙂

You can contact him at for the roast profiles and payment options (Paypal works great). He’ll even grind the beans for you if you like and he ships Priority Mail so everything is still nice and fresh when it arrives.

So cute! And love it that you’re getting organic coffee! I drink tea, and for the most part, it’s organic. Anything that helps us through the writing day is good. 🙂

• Misty Evans says:

Edie, I like tea too. I have an organic green tea and ginger that I’m hooked on right now. I had a teaspoon of honey and it hits the spot on these polar vortex days!

• Edie Ramer says:

Misty, I’m drinking a ginger peach with matcha tea right now. I think I have an allergy to honey (not fatal, but my skin gets blotchy), but honey sounds good.

3. COFFEE! Too cool that you roast your own beans. I’m a coffee heathen. Give me my Maxwell House or Folgers, and I’m good.
    B.E. Sanderson`s last blog was …The Legend of Suicide Squirrel

• Misty Evans says:

B.E., we have to bring you over to the dark side and get you drinking real coffee. haha! Once you smell, and then drink, this fresh roasted stuff, you’ll never go back…

4. Hi Misty! Loved this. I need my coffee, too. Only I’m one of those who doesn’t like plain coffee, but lattes and mochas with more sugar than coffee. LOL I hope one day we get to meet and have a coffee together in person! Happy writing! And happy coffee making and selling to your hubby!
    Robin Bielman`s last blog was …Nothing But Trouble + a giveaway!

• Misty Evans says:

Robin, I love coffee drinks, especially those with espresso and ice cream. Yum. 🙂

I can’t wait for us to get together and share some coffee and girl talk!

Hey Misty – coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m so jealous of your husband roasting. I could kill for a cup – just kidding – or not. lol!
    Dale Mayer`s last blog was …Broken Protocols 3.5 – A Christmas story!

6. Amy R says:

Aw, thanks, Misty! The feeling is very mutual. And, I am glad you have your coffee. I may not like working with you without it. 😉