I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose. ~Woody Allen
They say laughter is the best medicine. What I want to know is, where did Dr. They get her medical degree and what studies has Dr. They done?
Well, exactly. “They” say a lot of things. But in this case, there’s stuff on the Internet to back them up, much more scientific (marginally). So here they are, the eight shocking secrets.
- “Laughter is a powerful antidote to stress” according to Helpguide.org.
- It also “boosts the immune system.” Ibid (which means I sucked the quote from the same post).
- It also “protects the heart” by “increasing blood flow”. Ibid (Yep. Another one from the Helpguide.org post).
- Importantly, for those of us who suffer from depression, it “dissolves distressing emotion” Ibid. Ibid. (Hey! Repeated, it sounds like a frog.)
- For diabetics, it “reduces blood sugar levels” according to PsychologyToday.com. I did not know that and am shocked. Shocked, I tell you. I don’t know if my heart can take the stress. Oh wait–I can laugh it healthy.
- According to Michael Miller, M.D. in the same article, “it is conceivable that laughing may be important to maintain a healthy endothelium.” Right! Um…what’s an endothelium? (Runs to Wikipedia…blood and lymph vessel lining, huh.) “And reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.” Oh! Now I see.
- In another article at UMM.edu, Dr. Miller’s findings were elaborated: “people with heart disease were 40 percent less likely to laugh in a variety of situations compared to people of the same age without heart disease.” (Does this count as separate item? Yes? No? Imma count it.)
- Frankly, when I laugh I feel better. Okay, that’s mostly anecdotal, but here’s a quote anyway. “When I start the day by checking out my favorite cartoons, I start the day with a smile.” From this post by the author M. Hughes.
In conclusion, I leave you with this medieval quote, “I say unto you, go out and find merriment, as it doeth you much goodeth.” Or, from the contemporary translation, “Laugh. It’s good for you.”
Let’s get to know each other! In my first year as a Magical Musings blogger, I’m exploring my 10 favorite things. This is number two.