Book Playlists

As a book and music lover, it makes me all kinds of happy when I learn that an author has a playlist to go along with their story. Even better when they put it in order of how the book plays out. Listening to a song that the author feels reflects a character, scene or overall mood of a book brings it to life even more in my opinion.

11129999_10206427217663048_1290379370_nTake Home by Daughtry for example. I had heard the song in the past, but when I learned it was a song that author Adrienne Giordano used for her book Man Law and main character, Vic Andrews, it brought both the song and story to a new level me. I could picture a specific scene in the book where it would be playing in the background and now each time I hear the song, I think of that scene and character. I so love that. I never want to let go of books and characters so this is one way to keep them alive. I am definitely one of those readers that likes to think that the characters and stories I read are real. I have a feeling many of you are the same way.

I listen to Spotify when I am at work during the day and have started saving my favorite book playlists to listen to them during the day. Even though I am “stuck” in reality, it brings a little fantasy to my day and makes me smile.

Do you like it when an author offers a book playlist? Do you listen to those songs at least once to understand and feel the book through music? Do you have a favorite book playlist that you listen to often?

This entry was posted in Amy R's Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Book Playlists

1. I love associating music with my work, and when I hear a particular song, it often reminds me of a particular book I’ve written. I’m glad to hear readers like to see the lists. Maybe in my next book, I’ll give one, as my heroine has to sing quite a lot in it.

For the 1920s book I’m working on, I listen to the music of the era to help me get into the mood as well, which is a great way to immerse yourself in the past.

• Amy Remus says:

I bet that is fun listening to the music from that era. I bet it helps you get into the mood! And it would be fun to know what songs your next heroine sings. 🙂

2. Pingback: Book Playlists » So Many Reads

3. Mary Hughes says:

Hi, Amy,

Music really adds emotion to movies, and it’s great when it can add the same depth to a book. I have a play list for getting big chores done. Makes me smile too 🙂

• Amy Remus says:

Me too, Mary! For Christmas my husband bought me a Bose Bluetooth Speaker that we sit on the island in our house so when I am in the kitchen or doing dishes I turn that on. I also listen to music while vacuuming. I pretty much always have music on. 🙂

4. I think when an author does a book playlist that it is cool bonus content. But I don’t do them myself, just because I feel like I don’t know enough about music to offer up an interesting playlist.
    Jennifer Estep`s last blog was …Dark Heart of Magic, Black Blade #2, coming Oct. 27 …

• Amy Remus says:

Jennifer, I think it is great bonus content, but I wouldn’t have time to listen to every playlist for every book I read. I also don’t think not having one takes anything away from a book. It’s just like a book trailer – they are neat when a book has one, but doesn’t change the book for me at all. 🙂

I just read a Barbara Samuel book, No Place Like Home (which was previously traditionally published and she self-published it now). Her heroine was listening to Bonnie Rait music all through the book. Afterward, I searched through my CDs for my Bonnie Rait Collection, and I played all 20 songs, dancing with my cat with some of them. Since I knew these songs, and they were very sensual and so was her heroine and hero, it added to my reading pleasure. (Not sure how much my cat liked it.)

• Amy Remus says:

Edie – I do think it is fun when a book has music in it that I am familiar with. So then you can hear it in your head on the spot. Other times I will look up music that an author talks about in a book – even if it is not part of a playlist.

Hi Amy. Great post!

I have a playlist for almost all of my books, songs that I listen to over and over while I write. They get me in the mood and allow my character’s POV to flow. I have a few posted on my website to share with readers, but I get very little feedback about them, so I sort of quit doing them.

I enjoy seeing other author’s playlists for books, but sometimes I create my own in my head when I’m reading their stories. ;-). Or I’ll hear a song later and think, “ooh, that’s the perfect theme song for XYZ book!”

I think written stories and music work hand-in-hand to motivate and inspire us as well as entertain us! Movies and music are the same. We like the extra sensory experience that music brings.

• Amy Remus says:

Yes, Misty! I have done the same thing – heard a song that reminded me of a book or character and then mentioned it to an author. It is great conversation and I am guessing authors enjoy hearing that their books stick with us enough to think about them while not reading them. I actually have all the Super Agent playlists in my Spotify profile. I haven’t put Kali’s in yet, but need to.

7. Hi, Amy. Thank you for the shout-out! I just listened to Vic’s playlist yesterday while out for a walk and it instantly brought me back to writing that story. That’s one of the things I love about the playlists. If I hear a song from the list, it immediately brings the characters to mind.

I usually do a playlist for every book. I just added the song “Sugar” to the playlist for my work in progress and it makes me smile every time I hear it.

• Amy Remus says:

Oooh, I love the song Sugar, Adrienne! Can’t wait to hear that playlist after I read the book it is a part of. Thanks for doing playlists on your books!