When the amazing, Zoe Dawson asked me if I wanted to do a guest post on Magical Musings, of course I squeaked and said yes. About a week later I panicked and realized, I’m not that cool and I have no idea what I’m going to write about. The panic continued to increase as each day passed me by. Then I cleaned my office and realized I have a lot of really cool stuff because of my ridiculous addiction to pop culture. That thought led to me thinking about the old “Writing Cave” posts authors used to do for virtual tours. I loved those posts. It was in that moment that the heavens opened, the angels sang, and I had an idea. I work from home (I’m an art history professor) and I sort of love the stuff I have collected so I thought I would share some of it with you 🙂
Ten things I am unreasonably obsessed with:
1. My animals! I have three cats, a dog, and five fish tanks. My house is a damn zoo and I love it. The dog and the cats like to keep me company while I’m working:
This is Saint Sherman, an Argentine Dogo mix who really likes to lay on my books. I do a lot of writing for my classes as they are all online which means I constantly have books laying around. Ample opportunity for a puppy 🙂
2. T-shirts! I have an embarrassing number of t-shirts. When you work from home, there isn’t a lot of need to dress up which is ideal for a person whose motto since high school has been “Dress for comfort and not for fashion.”
3. Wonder Woman! Yes, I think she is absolutely a real superhero, invisible plane and all. Each year my husband buys me a new Wonder Woman statue for my birthday and Christmas. In addition to the statues, I have three totally badass framed prints hanging in my office as well as coffee mugs, a lunch box, buttons, and key chains.
4. Harry Potter! I have lost count of the number of times I have read the books and seen the movies. It’s a ridiculous number on both counts . . . don’t judge. In the image below, you can see two of my prized possessions, the Hogwart’s Express bookends and the Hogwart’s Castle special edition collection. The set you see here isn’t for reading but other three sets I own certainly are 🙂
5. Yoda! I am a huge fan of Star Wars in general (I liked Jar Jar Binks, don’t judge :-)) but Yoda has always been my absolute favorite character. I have Yoda’s all over my house (you never know when you may need the Force), framed prints, coffee mugs, and of course, t-shirts. Yoda makes me happy.
6. Dr. Who! Yes, I am a total and complete Whovian and not ashamed to admit it. My husband introduced me to Dr. Who and now I am all kinds of obsessed with the show. I can totally tell you my favorite Doctor in order of preference (12, 10, 9, 11) but can’t pick a favorite companion to save my life. In the image below you can see my disappearing Tardis (just add hot liquid) coffee mug and the sonic screwdriver’s for 12 and 10.
7. Einstein! I have no idea when and/or where I became so obsessed with Einstein. It may be the hair – HA!! He is simply one of my favorite historical figures and I have a hard time bypassing new Einstein stuff. I also really like bobble heads as you can see below. The one on the left talks 🙂
8. Postcards! For several years my daughter and I participated in a national and international postcard exchange program and we loved it. I still collect a wide range of postcards and really dig sending them to people. As an art historian, I find postcards to be some of the best buys and best images as they are professionally shot photographs. Below are some of the most recent postcards I have purchased. By the way, don’t ever ask me who my favorite artist is . . . . that’s like asking a mom who her favorite kid is 🙂
9. Mater! Oh, Mater how I adore you!! My daughter just recently turned 10 so I have spent years listening to Disney and Pixar movies on repeat. To be fair, I sort of enjoy watching them too 🙂 It took about a half second for Mater to become one of my all-time favorite animated characters. The voice, the look, everything. I love that little tow truck.
10. Magnets!! Last but not least, I am totally and completely obsessed with magnets. My refrigerator is covered in magnets and I generally buy a magnet whenever we visit a new place. I also buy a lot of magnets at the various comic book cons we attend. Yes, I am so that nerd!! In the picture below you can see a lot of interests including Dr. Who, BOOKS, art, Star Wars, Darrell from Walking Dead, Einstein, and my daughter 🙂
Leisha is so very cool and I will admit she’s one of my obsessions! She is a fabulous reviewer and has a great blog. You can find her at the links below. Thanks for coming over and playing, Leisha!