Twisted Gratitude

Happy November! Though I try to embrace gratitude every day, it’s now the month where social media will be full of what everyone is grateful for. I’ll be honest, while I love the concept, I do get bored with seeing the same things on everyone’s list—the “automatics,” like family, health, friends, etc. So let’s just assume that those are a given, and let’s go beyond the obvious to off-the-beaten-path gratitude.

The heater I'm grateful for. (And yes, that's a non-working fireplace behind it.)

The heater I’m grateful for. (And yes, that’s a non-working fireplace behind it.)

Top 10 Things I’m Grateful for That You Won’t See on Everyone Else’s List:

1. Cake. No wait, I know it sounds commonplace but this cake is not. I follow the autoimmune protocol diet—no grains, gluten, dairy, eggs, nuts, sugar, nightshades, etc.—so I can promise you there isn’t a single dessert in any grocery store, health food or otherwise, that I can eat. And I’ve mostly learned to deal with that. Until my birthday came around. I wanted CAKE, dammit. So with a little searching (and a test run the week before), I found a cake recipe I can eat. While people with sugar-numbed tongues (i.e., the entire world, and I used to include myself in this category) would probably not love it, I did. And it made my birthday extra happy.

2. Portable heater. I live in Wisconsin. My office is in the basement. Enough said.

3. Dyson. Our family has four cats. I would cuddle up with this super-powered vacuum at night if I could.

4. Sleepovers that end. As I’m typing this, my 14-year-old son’s birthday sleepover is winding down. Just two more guests waiting for rides. They’re awesome kids, but Mama needs her peace.

5. Boys old enough to rake. One upside of having teenagers. 🙂

6. Sarcasm. It feeds the soul.

7. Amazon Prime. Sure, Amazon may end up taking over the world, but let’s face it—they kind of deserve to.

8. Island Life. I’ve already confessed to being an HGTV junkie, and this show is one of my favorites. Because some people in some places get to live on islands, and if I can’t do it myself, I might as well sit down and watch a show about it and PRETEND I can for thirty minutes at a time.

9. End of mowing season. This one pains me, because summer is by far my favorite season. One of the highlights of summer is that I move my editing office outside. Unfortunately, our dear 90-year-old neighbor seems to be a combination of OCD and forgetful because he mows his lawn every day. For hours, because he is permanently bent at such an angle that he can’t move very fast, especially while pushing a mower. I give him big-time credit for being active, but the sound of the lawn mower after the first two hours… Well, don’t be surprised if my contemporary romance novels morph into murder mysteries.

10. Bacon. Because…just bacon.

Anyone else have some unique gratitude points to add? The more creative the better. 🙂

This entry was posted in Amy K's Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Twisted Gratitude

1. Mary Hughes says:

Hi, Amy,

I love this list! Sarcasm, space heater…yes, yes, yes! I’m grateful for cell phones (useful for everything from emergencies to, I blush to admit, locating people in stores) and showers (cool in the summer after yard work and hot on winter mornings, making getting up possible, lol), and Netflix.

I just looked at the cake recipe. It does look good. My favorite HGTV show is the Property Brothers, Jonathan and Drew. I didn’t know you ate bacon. I thought that would be off of your diet.

I’m grateful for my cat, and my brother and sister. And my husband. Not unique, but I’m in an appreciative mood today. (Did you notice I mentioned my cat first? Hey, she gives me more loving! None of the others jump on my lap and purr.) I’m also grateful for my amazing copy editor (who happens to be Amy Knupp), my proofreader, and my CP, Michelle Diener. And I’ll be very grateful to finish the last round of edits today.

• Amy Knupp says:

Edie, I make sure the bacon I eat is nitrate-free. Generally, if a food is “real” aka was recently alive, like an animal or a plant, it’s okay on my diet (with some exceptions like nuts and nightshades). It’s the processed crap that messes me up.

I love Jonathan and Drew in all their shows! I would like Jonathan to come fix my house. For free, of course. (I could bake him a really weird cake…)

Back to gratitude, I’m grateful for fabulous editing clients like you, Edie. <3 I feel so lucky to have a job where I get to read awesome stories all day!

• Edie Ramer says:

Amy, smooch! And I actually bought Jones uncured, nitrate- and glucose-free turkey bacon. It’s pretty good. There was another brand we liked better (can’t remember what it is), but it’s hard to find.

3. Amy, I love your list 🙂

I’m grateful for days that are beautifully sunny, but not too hot. As I live in Australia, these days are rare and I love them. I love taking an hour in the morning to walk along the beach first, and then sitting outside and working, feeling the cool breeze and hearing the birds and insects and not much else. Bliss! (Am sitting outside, experiencing just such a day, right now.)
    Michelle Diener`s last blog was …Mistress of the Wind on Sale

• Edie Ramer says:

Michelle, I’m glad you’re having such a great day by you. We are, too, in southeastern Wis. It’s much warmer than usual. It will change on Friday, so I’m going to enjoy it while I can.

• Amy Knupp says:

Michelle, you had me at “walk along the beach.” <3 Since I am landlocked, that’s pretty much the reason I watch Island Life! (And Beachfront Bargain Hunt, and Hawaii Life…) I’d love to see pics of your beach! Enjoy it a little extra for me, please. 🙂