2015 was a fun exhilarating ride, but it was also exhausting and stressful. Normally I handle stress with finesse and I smile at adversity but 2015 kicked my butt. Still down in out in some ways but gearing up and raring to go for 2016 in others.
- I had 13 new releases in 2015.
- On top of those 13 were 8 anthologies that I was apart of.
- I sold my house.
- My daughter graduated high school and started university.
- My oldest got married.
- I completely renovated the main floor of my new house – renos are done! Okay so there are mirrors to hang, touch up paintings to do and maybe a closet door or two to finally get up. But the demolition and rebuilding is done. 🙂 Of course there is always hte outside of the house, the downstairs and the garage… yeah you get the picture.
- I went to the Writer’s Police Academy in Appleton, WI in August (and met our own Edie Ramer and Mary Hughes)
- I went to Ninc in Tampa Bay, Florida at the end of September.
- I went to my son’s wedding in Fort Wayne, IN in May and returned home the day after for my daughter’s promenade and prom night that day.
In other words, it was a crazy stressful year. A good one, but difficult and by the time the year came to an end, I’d done a downward slide. Irritation was a normal feeling, sleep was hard come by, and it became harder and harder to keep working.
While the renos were in progress, I lost my office and worked on the downstairs kitchen table. I shared my bedroom with my daughter for the same time. And I was constantly pulled away to work on the house – yes the kids and I did a ton of the work ourselves.
The result of all this craziness was to take a hard look at my life and my needs – and to make a decision as to what I should doing to improve my life in the new year.
And I made a decision that is very unusual for me. After 18 years of single parenting four kids, running a business, etc, I decided that I need to make 2o16 for ME. Selfish of me I know. But it’s the first time that I’ve put myself first. I need to this time. I’m tired. And worn out. And stressed. However with the renos completed and the wedding done and my daughter settled into university, life is going to be easier. Now if I can avoid over filling my life with work!
At the same time, 2016 represents a time of moving forward on several other fronts and I’ll be delighted to move forward in all directions myself. I’m also VERY happy to see the back of 2015.
What about you? Are there things you need to change for yourself this year? New resolutions you’re setting? Changes you want to make? How is 2016 looking for you?